Women's Lacrosse: Notre Dame notches 100th victory

Notre Dame got off to a fast - and record-setting - start this weekend.

The Irish tied a school record for goals in a 22-10 win over Canisius on Friday, and then registered the program's 100th win on Sunday against Duquesne. Both games were played at the Loftus Center.

Ten different players scored for Notre Dame in its season-opening win over Canisius.

"Generally, we like an up-tempo, aggressive-on-defense type of team," Irish coach Tracy Coyne said before the Canisius game. "I guess we'll find out tonight what our style's going to be."

If Friday was any indication, the Irish look like they will be pushing the tempo all season. Midfielder Caitlin McKinney and Byers led the team with five goals apiece. Freshman Shaylyn Blaney added four goals in her first collegiate game, and senior Heather Ferguson scored twice.

Notre Dame came out strong and looked to bury the Griffins early, notching the first six goals of the game and racing out to the big advantage. Canisius fought back and tallied the next four goals, closing the gap to 6-4. Canisius held close until a Byers goal with three seconds left in the first half gave the Irish a 10-5 lead and momentum heading into the break.

After Canisius cut the Notre Dame lead to 12-9, the Irish needed to regroup.

With Notre Dame hanging onto its slim lead, the Irish made the necessary adjustments. Notre Dame rattled off 10 consecutive goals, pushing the lead to 22-9. The rally included three goals from Byers and two from McKinney.

Ashley Gray led the Griffins with three goals, and Whitney Card and Chelsea Martinez scored twice each.

Notre Dame topped the Dukes 16-4 behind six goals from Irish attack Jill Byers. All 100 wins have been under Coyne.