Disability awareness not just for March

Disabilities are something that I'm sure many people on our campus do not think much about. I think about them every day.

I have a learning disability, and at the very beginning of my freshmen year, I felt like I was the only one on campus who did. That all changed when I was invited to get together with other students with disabilities to create a group. We started meeting every week and eventually called ourselves Perspectives. This came about because we feel that being a person with a disability at Notre Dame gives you a different perspective, but also because we want people with normal abilities to try and understand that.

Our goal is to offer support to each other and promote awareness and education about disabilities. Having a disability is not a necessary component to membership, just an interest in our goal. We worked hard to gain group status, and I am very proud of the work we have done. We have had panels, simulations, and socials, and have worked with other groups such as Best Buddies and the Logan Center. It has been a very rewarding journey.

I write because March is Disability Awareness month. There have been many great events, but the promotion of disability awareness does not have to end. There is so much that you can do. You can be more understanding of people with disabilities all year and educate yourself.

I invite anyone who is interested in any of this to join Perspectives. It has been one of the best parts of my four years here at Notre Dame.

Molly Rivard

senior

Welsh Family Hall

Mar. 30