ND to spend weekend in Tuscon

Peter Reisenaur | Thursday, March 20, 2008

After what may have been their best showing so far this spring, Notre Dame will look to continue its hot play when it travel to Tucson, Ariz., for the National Invitational Tournament at the Arizona National Golf Club.

This past weekend Notre Dame finished 12th in a tough field at the E-Z Go Invitational that included 12 teams ranked in the top 50. The Irish finished ahead of No. 15 Michigan State and No. 38 North Carolina State at the event in Statesboro, Ga. The team also finished tied with No. 11 Auburn and just three stokes out of 9th place.

Junior Josh Sandman had another strong showing with his second top 10 finish in as many tournaments and also finished with his career low score. He was also the only player in the field that recorded an eagle over the entire weekend.

This weekend the Irish will face a field highlighted by No. 27 Arizona State. Notre Dame will look for strong contributions from their top performers, including Sandman and sophomore Doug Fortner, who, despite finishing 56th in the E-Z Go Invitational, still has not reached the scores that he was posting before the winter break.

Freshman Tyler Hock struggled in the final round of the E-Z Go Invitational after two solid rounds, and will look to find more consistency in Tucson.

The Irish finally were able to practice outdoors at the Warren Golf Course this week after winter conditions had limited the team to indoor practice facilities for several months.