ND Women's Golf: Freshman Conway leads team at tourney

Hot off a first-place finish at last week's Rio Verde Invitational, No. 20 Notre Dame concluded the first day of competition at the Betsy Rawls Longhorn Invitational in fifth-place with a 29-over-par 317, 14 strokes off the leader, No. 22 New Mexico. Freshman Katie Conway lead the Irish in scoring on the day, finishing up with a 5-over par 77, tied for 11th overall.

A strong field of 17 competes this week at the par 72, 6,344-yard course at The University of Texas Golf Club in Austin, Tex. Close behind New Mexico, No. 5 Florida ended the first round with a 17-over 305. No. 32 Texas (308) and No. 6 Arkansas (311) fill the gap between the leaders and Notre Dame.

Coming off her second win of the season at the Rio Verde Invitational, Irish standout So-Hyun Park closely trails fellow freshman Conway, shooting a 6-over 78 on the day. She leads Notre Dame in scoring this season with a 72.81 average and was named Golf World Player of the Week in light of her recent victory.

Sophomore Annie Brophy, whose sixth-place effort last week marked her career-best finish, ended the day with an 8-over par 80. Junior captain Lisa Maunu finished with a 10-over par 82, and sophomore Kristin Wetzel shot a 13-over par 85 to round out the Irish squad.

The Betsy Rawls Invitational continues throughout the week, with the second round concluding today.