ND Women's Track: Hasan to compete in pentathalon at NCAAs

Eight Irish athletes have qualified to represent Notre Dame at the NCAA Championship meet in Fayetteville, Ark. this weekend. Only one Irish competitor, however, will come from the women's team.

Alyissa Hasan will represent the Irish in the pentathlon after her March 7 and 8 performance at the Alex Wilson Invitational that qualified her for the national championship meet. Hasan scored 4,015 points, breaking her old school record.

Assistant coach Scott Windsor was confident Hasan would put together another strong performance this week.

"She definitely has the potential to put together a really good score this week," Windsor told und.com. "Alyissa has turned herself into a good athlete for this team and has come a long way both physically and mentally as of late. Now it's just a matter of her being able to stay settled to get through a complete day of multi-events.

"If she goes out there and performs the way she is capable of doing, it's hard to think that she won't finish among the top of her field."

Hasan is entering the event as the No. 13 seed. She needs to finish in the top eight to earn her first All-American honors.

Hasan was not the only athlete to meet the provisional mark set by the NCAA as a potential qualifier for the championship meet.

Teammate Anna Weber met the provisional mark in the weight throw, but did not set a high enough mark to qualify for the meet.