-

-

S.B. police chase man to campus

Joseph McMahon | Wednesday, March 26, 2008

Police continued searching for a man who fled from his vehicle on the Toll Road and eluded police during a chase through Notre Dame’s campus early Sunday morning. A traffic scanner described the man as a black male wearing a white shirt and he was said to be in possession of about three grams of cocaine.According to the South Bend Tribune, the Indiana State Police conducted a comprehensive search of the area, including using a K-9 unit, to track the suspect. The man was last seen near the Morris Inn.Phil Johnson, director of Notre Dame Security Police (NDSP) said NDSP assisted in the search, but refused to comment further.”We were asked to assist another police agency and offered that assistance in looking for someone who had fled from them,” he said. “That person was not located. [Any more information] would have to be gotten from the Indiana State Police.”The Indiana State Police said they were not prepared to comment when The Observer contacted them Tuesday. Freshman Khai Thomas, who fit the description of the suspect, said NDSP asked him several questions in connection with the case at 3 a.m. on Sunday morning.”I was coming from the basement of Alumni Hall with a couple friends of mine when I saw a couple police officers walking through the hall,” he said. “They followed me to my room and asked me to come out of my room. The proceeded to question me for five or ten minutes.”Thomas said officers asked to see his student ID and if he was outside recently.”From what they said they were looking for a black male wearing jeans and a white shirt, possibly a do-rag,” he said. “That’s all they gave me.”After realizing that Thomas was a University student, NDSP allowed him to return to his room.