-

-

SMC Tennis: SMC falls to Olivet, Wheaton

Meaghan Veselik | Monday, March 31, 2008

Saint Mary’s (4-8, 0-2 MIAA) went 0-2 this weekend at the Jack Swartz Invitational at Wheaton College, Ill. The Belles lost Friday 6-3 to No. 16 Olivet Nazarene and 8-1 on Saturday to No. 28 Wheaton College.

Against Olivet Nazarene, Saint Mary’s won three of the six singles matches. No. 1 singles sophomore Camille Gebert defeated Olivet’s Jill Haas 5-7, 6-4, 6-0. At No. 2, freshman Jillian Hurley beat Erica Engelbrecht in two sets, 6-3, and 6-1. No. 4 freshman Jessica Kosinski overcame Alicia Cullen in two sets as well, winning 6-3, 6-4.

At No. 3, Betsy Reed, a freshman, lost to Lily Gonzalez from Olivet Nazarene 6-1, 2-6, 6-1. At No. 5, sophomore Lisa Rubino went down 7-5, 6-1 to Jen Ramsey, and at No. 6, freshman Jessica Camp lost 6-1, 6-1 to Jade Stanlick.

The Belles were unable to come through on the doubles side on Friday. The No. 1 team of Gebert and Hurley lost 8-5 to Erica Engelbrecht and Alicia Cullen. The No. 2 duo of Betsy Reed and Lisa Rubino lost 8-2 to Lily Gonzalez and Jen Ramsey, and were followed by the No. 3 team of Jessica Camp and Franca Peluso losing 8-2 to the Tigers’ Jill Haas and Jade Stanlick.

Saturday’s match wasn’t any more successful for the Belles as they took on Wheaton College.

Reed won the only singles match for Saint Mary’s on Saturday, 6-3, and 6-0 over Wheaton’s Brooke Parrish.

No. 1 Gebert lost 6-0, 6-0 to Jordan Hook. No. 2 singles Hurley lost for only the second time this season to Shannon Hale, 6-4, 3-6, 6-4.

No. 4 Kosinski lost 6-4, 6-1 to Brittney Dunn. No. 5 Rubino was defeated 6-2, 6-2 by Sara Federschmidt. To finish off the Belles singles lineup for the weekend, No. 6 Laura Arnold lost 6-0, 6-0 to Kayli Edwards.

The Thunder won all three doubles matches. The team of Gebert and Hurley were defeated 8-0 by Hook and Federschmidt, bringing their record to 5-7 as a duo. Reed and Rubino lost 8-2 to Parrish and Lindsey Hallet, and Mary Therese Lee and Peluso were defeated 8-1 by Dunn and Edwards.

“It was a tough weekend, but our team played well,” Rubino said. “We stepped up our competitiveness, and I think it will pay off for conference matches later in the season.”