Spanish, Sociology clubs ask for trip funds

Two co-sponsorships were presented at the Saint Mary's Board of Governance (BOG) meeting Tuesday evening as representatives from the Sociology Department and Spanish Club attended the meeting to ask BOG to help fund some of their upcoming events

Nicole Loughridge, a senior in the sociology department, asked for money to help fund attendance for her and four students at the North Central Sociology Association (NCSA) Conference, March 27-29 in Cincinnati, Ohio, with three other seniors. Three of the students are going to present their senior comprehensives, two of which have already won prizes.

"That is exciting for Saint Mary's as a whole," Loughridge said.

The seniors will be showing their comprehensives to sociology professionals and students from colleges from seven different states in the Midwest.

Since 2004, Saint Mary's has been awarded the first, second or third place prize, Loughridge said. The women attending want to gain recognition for Saint Mary's

Junior Spanish Club treasurer Becca Mason was also at Tuesday's meeting in search of funds for a symposium the club is setting up for gender bias. The symposium will take place on Oct. 2-3.

The club will be showing a film on the first day along with several guest speakers on both days. Professors from Rutgers University and Ohio State, as well as professors from Saint Mary's, will speak. Topics will range from the effect the Iraq war has on women, the displacement of women in Africa and the trafficking of women in Eastern Europe, Mason said.

In other BOG news:

uMickey Gruscinski, the student body president-elect, and Sarah Falvey, the student body vice president-elect attended the meeting in preparation for the turnover at next Tuesday's meeting.

uCassie Quaglia, president of the Residence Hall Association, said Le Mans Hall will be selling sweatshirts in the Student Center Atrium during lunch and dinner.

uStudent body president Kim Hodges said there will be birthday cake in the Student Center Atrium Wednesday at 11 a.m. through lunch for Feb. and March birthdays. Everyone is welcome to help themselves.