-

-

Absurder’ was being satirical

Letter to the Editor | Sunday, April 6, 2008

As I read Theresa Thomas’ Letter to the Editor (“‘Absurder’ in poor taste,” Apr. 4), I was bewildered to find that she considered the article about “vaginas” being discovered on campus to be offensive. She claimed that “… vulgarity in calling women by a single private body part is abhorrent.” She went on to say, “If I were a female student … at Notre Dame, I’d be making an appointment this afternoon with school officials over the discriminatory and hateful joke.”Ironically, The Observer was satirizing the very attitude that Thomas’ statements embody: an embarrassment of the word “vagina” and the significance it holds. It is called a “vagina,” not “a single private body part.” The article used sarcasm to make fun of the fact that many people at Notre Dame appear to have a fear of using the word “vagina” when a little over half of the world’s population has one. The demonstration of this fact can be seen in the recent debate about “The Vagina Monologues.” There were several people I encountered (not to mention a few Viewpoint letters ) that managed to talk about the controversial play at length and not use the word “vagina” once. I recommend that Ms. Thomas look up the word “satire” in a dictionary and then consult a basic anatomy book about the purpose of a vagina. She will hopefully discover that vaginas are nothing to be ashamed of and that the Observer article was doing this university a service by pointing that out.

Michayla SullivansophomoreWalsh HallApr. 4