Board of Governance: Dance Marathon reps seek trip funds

Representatives from Saint Mary's Dance Marathon attended Board of Governance's (BOG) meeting Tuesday in search of funds for a trip to the National Dance Marathon Convention in Orlando, Fla., in July.

"It is a great opportunity because colleges and universities throughout the nation all come together [and] share ideas," said Francesca Johnson, co-founder of Dance Marathon and Elections Commissioner for BOG.

The conference will allow members of the organization to talk to people who participate in similar jobs such as marketing and catering, Johnson said. This will be their only professional training for the year.

Dance Marathon was given a grant by Riley's Children's Hospital, the organization to whom the marathon donates their earnings each year, for the trip, said Pauline Kistka, co-founder of Dance Marathon and Health and Wellness Commissioner for BOG.

The Dance Marathon executive board is hoping this conference will give rising underclassmen the opportunity to learn more before they have to take over the event as the founders graduate in 2009, Kistka said. This year's marathon raised $85,296.33.

St. Joseph Hospital is opening a Riley wing and doctors who will be visiting the local hospital from Indianapolis will be meeting with College president Carol Ann Mooney to congratulate her and the school on the work that has been done to raise money for the hospital, Johnson said.

BOG also decided to continue with a Saint Mary's version of "The Shirt," said public relations commissioner Katie Danko.

Student body president Sarah Falvey said a Saint Mary's "The Shirt" allows students to support Notre Dame while still showing pride for their own school.

"[We want to make one] so students could represent themselves and their Saint Mary's pride and still fit into the sea of green," Falvey said.

Design ideas are still in planning but it will probably incorporate icons from both schools, Falvey said.

In other BOG news:

u Student body president Mickey Gruscinski said the Student Center is once again extending their hours for finals week until midnight. The Cyber Café will serve a special late-night menu and the Noble Family Dining Hall will keep coffee and other drinks available to students during the extra hours.

u The second annual Late Night Desserts will take place Monday at 10 p.m. in the Dining Hall, Gruscinski said. All students are invited to attend this free event.

Mandi Stirone contributed reporting to this article.