Burglaries reported in Cavanaugh

Three students reported three laptops and a digital camera stolen from an unlocked room in Cavanaugh Hall Friday, Notre Dame Security/Police (NDSP) reported in an e-mail to students.

At around 10 a.m. Friday, a student saw a man inside Cavanaugh, according to the e-mail. He was later seen carrying a bag with laptops in them, the e-mail said, and was last seen entering the south stairs.

The man was described as "black, about 5-foot-8, skinny build, unshaven or scraggly beard, and wearing a black shirt and baggy jeans," the e-mail reported. Witnesses described him as being older than college age.

The description is similar to that given after previous burglaries in Lyons and Howard Halls. NDSP director Phil Johnson said previously that the suspect in those cases was identified by "several people" as a black male, between 5-foot-8 and 5-foot-11, with a thin build, "frizzy long black hair" in a pony tail or braid, possibly bad or missing teeth and possibly facial stubble.

Howard Hall residents reported three laptops and two wallets stolen from three different rooms on April 1, Notre Dame Security/Police (NDSP) Assistant Director Dave Chapman previously said.

A laptop was taken out of each room, he said, and two wallets were taken. The burglaries happened between 11 a.m. and 3 p.m., he said.

Three laptops and two wallets were stolen from two unlocked rooms on March 26, Chapman said previously.

NDSP believes the first two burglaries to be related, Chapman previously said, and the same suspect from them is believed to be behind this robbery, as well.

The suspect in the first two burglaries carried a duffle bag, Johnson said then, and entered unlocked rooms when students were present. When he saw the students, he asked for someone by name who did not live in the room, he said previously.

NDSP learned that Valparaiso University has experienced similar burglaries with a suspect whose description matched that of the suspect in Notre Dame's recent campus robberies, Johnson said previously.