COR: Reish, Schmidt approve positions at 1st meeting

Student body president Bob Reish and vice president Grant Schmidt officially took office Tuesday at their first meeting of the Council of Representatives.

Reish said he was "setting the agenda for the course of the year" and would focus on issues that are "time sensitive," including getting more freshman and transfer students involved in student government and optimizing Webmail.

"We will always have at least one topic to talk about and discuss," Reish said about COR. "I want there to be open dialogue and discussion."

Reish handed out three Skittles to COR members and told them to introduce themselves and provide information based on the color of the candy, such as a fact about their family or their future career plans.

For every red skittle, representatives had to say something no one knows about them.

"I'm color blind, so I don't even know if I'm doing this right," Student Union Board (SUB) president Pat Gartland said.

COR's faculty moderator Amy Geist reminded all representatives that attendance at meetings is important.

"It's really important for you to be here and be here on time," Geist told COR members.

COR also unanimously approved a number of individuals for new positions. Most of the nominations were approved with little debate. Only junior Dennise Bayona was not approved as director of programming for SUB because of a rule in the constitution that forbids individuals from holding two positions at once. Bayona was recently elected vice president of Walsh Hall.

Director of internal affairs Shanna Gast and co-directors of external affairs Kathleen Donohue and Jeff Lakusta were all approved as non-voting members of COR.

The Council also approved freshman Michael Yassay as student government policy branch controller, sophomore Whitney Toole as SUB secretary, junior Laura Srebro as SUB's director of publicity, junior Sam McDonald as SUB's director of operations and junior Evan Liu as SUB's chief controller.

After going through the nominations, Reish apologized for the lengthy list.

"I apologize there are so many," he said. "This is by far ridiculous."

Last week, COR also approved Sorin senator George Chamberlain as the new Judicial Council president.