Football: Wood, Stockton join Irish recruiting class

The Blue-Gold game is a prime recruiting opportunity for Notre Dame, and this weekend the Irish landed two verbal recruits for the class of 2013.

Running back Cierre Wood and defensive lineman Tyler Stockton gave verbal commitments to Notre Dame over the weekend.

Wood, one of the top running back prospects in the country, is an Oxnard, Calif., native who stands 6-feet, 200-punds.

"He's a big-time player. He's an impact player. He's a guy that [can] take over and change a game," said Mike Frank, who covers Notre Dame for scout.com. "Notre Dame doesn't have a lot of game-changing players on their roster right [now], though they're starting to have more as their good recruiting continues. He brings a different dynamic. He has home run hitting speed, extremely elusive."

Stockton is a 6-foot-1, 280-pound defensive lineman that Notre Dame recruited to play nose tackle.

"He's a guy that plays so hard all the time," Frank said. "He'll remind people of Trevor Laws, very physical and quick player, even though he'll play a different position than Trevor did. You have your pluggers and then you have your guys that make negative plays in the backfield and he's more of a negative play kind of guy."

The Irish also had a number of other recruits on campus who didn't verbally commit, but Frank said overall, they enjoyed their visits.

Jordan Barrett - linebacker

A high school teammate of incoming freshmen Dayne Crist and Anthony McDonald from Sherman Oaks, Calif., Barrett has Notre Dame high on his list of schools, Frank said.

"I think Notre Dame has a very good shot. But if some of the local schools like USC or UCLA came calling, neither has offered yet, will he stay loser to home?" Frank said.

D.J. Adams - running back

Frank said Adams might be on the fence at this point given the commitment from Wood over the weekend.

"If he wants the spot he might have to do something fairly soon I think those are some of the thoughts that are going through his head," Frank said. "I think he really likes Notre Dame, but if he's going to choose Notre Dame, I think he's going to do it fairly soon."

Devonte Holloman - safety

Frank said the Charlotte, N.C., native probably won't make a decision until summer, but likes Notre Dame's chances of landing Holloman

"He's going to visit a few more schools and check out some things, but I think he really likes [defensive coordinator] Corwin Brown and likes what Corwin has to say," Frank said.

Anthony LaLota - defensive end

LaLota received an official scholarship offer from Notre Dame over the weekend.

"I think he wants to sit down and think about things, but I do think the offer moved Notre Dame way up to the top of his list and in the end I'd be surprised if he didn't end up at Notre Dame. But the longer he waits, the more people are going to have an opportunity to influence him," Frank said.

Craig Roh - defensive end

Frank said he expects Roh to take more visits before ultimately deciding on a school. Roh hails from Scottsdale, Ariz., and stands 6-foot-5, 225-pounds.

E.J. White - defensive back

Frank said some schools are recruiting White as a safety, while others, including Notre Dame, are recruiting him as a corner, which bodes well for the Irish.

"I think that helps their chances. I think he loved the visit and crowd support," Frank said. "I think the fans did a great job of selling Notre Dame this weekend. He mentioned that a lot when we spoke to him."