Howard struck by burglaries

Bill Brink | Tuesday, April 8, 2008

Howard Hall residents reported three laptops and two wallets stolen from three different rooms on April 1, Notre Dame Security/Police (NDSP) Assistant Director Dave Chapman said.

A laptop was taken out of each room, he said, and two wallets were taken. The burglaries happened between 11 a.m. and 3 p.m., he said.

Chapman said NDSP believes the burglaries to be related to the recent burglaries in Lyons Hall, where laptops and wallets were also taken. Chapman said the same suspect is believed to be behind these burglaries.

NDSP director Phil Johnson said last Monday that the suspect was identified by “several people” as a black male, between 5-foot-8 and 5-foot-11, with a thin build, “frizzy long black hair” in a pony tail or braid, possibly bad or missing teeth and possibly sporting facial hair stubble.

According to Johnson, the suspect carried a duffel bag and entered unlocked rooms. When he saw that some of the rooms he entered had students in them, he asked for someone by name who did not live in the room.

The thefts last week in Lyons took place during the same time of day, from 11 a.m. to 3 p.m., Johnson said last week.

NDSP learned that Valparaiso University has experienced similar burglaries with a suspect whose description matched that of the suspect in Notre Dame’s recent campus robberies, Johnson said last week.