Men's Track and Field: Irish travel to two big national races

The Notre Dame Men's Track team is headed to two of the biggest track meets in the country.

The Drake Relays, held in Des Moines, Iowa, hosts many competitive athletes all the way from high school to Olympic competitors. There have been 14 world records, 45 American records and 59 collegiate records set at this meet. Similarly, the Hillsdale Gina Relays boasts multiple ranked collegiate teams. 

The Drake Relays will prove to be a great environment for tough competition for the Irish. Sophomore Balasz Molnar and senior Austin Wechter will start things off in the 400-meter hurdles, seeded in the top heat.

Along with his teammates, senior Adam Currie will look to improve his time for the men's 800-meter open. Several high-seeded Notre Dame relay teams will participate in the meet as well. 

For the Hillsdale Relays, the Irish look for one more chance to qualify for the Big East tournament.

Notre Dame throwers will compete against some of the best in the country.

Freshmen Greg Davis and John Belcher and junior Jeff Mensch are seeded high in the hammer throw preliminaries. In the high jump, junior Blair Macjina is seeded third. Sophomore Matt Schipper and junior Brian Mahon will look to qualify in the men's pole vault. 

Running events will start with senior Mike Popejoy and freshmen Ryan Jacobs and Paul Springer in the Men's 5000-meter open.

Senior Bob Kueny and junior Billy Buzaid will compete in men's 400-meter dash.