ND female reports rape on campus

A Notre Dame student reported a sexual assault to the Notre Dame Security/ Police (NDSP) on April 16, the third sexual assault reported on campus in the past month.

According to an e-mail sent to the Notre Dame student body, the student said an acquaintance committed the assault on April 12.

The NDSP police blotter classified the offense as "rape" and said it occurred between 8 and 11:15 p.m. on April 12.

The alleged assault occurred in a residence hall, and the victim was not physically injured, NDSP Assistant Director Dave Chapman said.

"The case is still under investigation," he said.

This alleged assault is the second reported rape and the third sexual assault case this semester. A student reported being sexually assaulted by an acquaintance in a residence hall on March 23, and a student reported being assaulted, but not raped, between Pasquerilla West and Siegfried Halls on March 30.

Under the Clery Act, which requires disclosure of campus security information, Chapman said, NDSP is required by law to publish information about reported crimes. In 2004, there were two "forcible sex offenses" on campus reported to NDSP, according to Chapman and NDSP's Safety Information pamphlet. In 2005, there was one, and in 2006 there were five.

Chapman did not know the number of previous assaults that were allegedly committed by someone the victim knew. He also said the presence or absence of drugs or alcohol during the incident was still under investigation.