-

-

ND Softball: Lux shines in Irish victory

Sam Werner | Thursday, April 10, 2008

Notre Dame dominated Eastern Michigan in a doubleheader, winning 10-1 and 5-1 yesterday and earning their seventh and eighth consecutive wins.

Sophomore first baseman Christine Lux led the Irish to victory in the first game, setting a school record for RBIs in a single game with seven. Lux started her big day off early, capping off an Irish rally a double in the first inning that drove in two runs and gave Notre Dame a 4-0 lead.

In the bottom of the second, Lux ripped a two-out single to plate two more runs and extend the lead to 7-0. Finally, Lux ended her big day with a three-run homer to right center to put the Irish up 10-1.

Notre Dame junior Brittany Bargar pitched four innings of three-hit ball, giving up only one run and striking out six. With the win, Bargar improved her record to 18-6 on the year. Junior Christine Farrell pitched the fifth inning for the Irish.

Notre Dame relied on solid pitching in the second game. Freshman Jody Valdivia pitched seven innings, gave up only one run, and struck out a season-high 14 batters.

Eastern Michigan made the Irish work for the win this time, though. The Eagles got on the board first in the second inning when freshman Stacie Skodinski knocked a double to left-center that scored junior Heather Han and put EMU up 1-0.

Lux once again came up big offensively for the Irish, smoking an RBI single in the third inning to tie the game at one.

Notre Dame waited until the fifth inning to take the lead, and when they did, it was Lux in the middle of the action. After seniors Sarah Smith and Katie Laing had already drove in runs with two outs to put the Irish up 3-1, Lux came up with Laing standing on first base. On the fourth pitch from Eastern Michigan pitcher Jaclyn Caro, Lux ripped a triple to left-center causing Laing to score. On the day, Lux finished 5-6 with a home run and nine RBIs.

The Irish are set to host Rutgers on April 12 in the newly constructed Melissa Cook Stadium. The game begins at noon.