ND Women’s Tennis: Irish sweep Boilermakers

Dan Masterton | Thursday, April 3, 2008

The Boilermakers staged a strong comeback, pushing three Irish singles player to three-set matches, but the drama was already over.

Notre Dame sealed Wednesday’s match early, winning all four early matches handily and then preventing all three Purdue comebacks for a 7-0 sweep.

The Irish (14-7) flexed their muscles early, taking the doubles point on their way to sweeping the match.

The dynamic pair of senior Brook Buck and junior Kelcy Tefft started the sweep with an 8-2 win. Buck and Tefft were ranked the No. 1 doubles pair in the national poll for the third straight time this week. They have won 12 of their last 13 matches.

Sophomores Colleen Rielley and Cosmina Ciobanu fell from the national doubles rankings this past week, but extended their win streak to seven. Their 8-4 win over Cigdem Duru and Joanna Craven improved their record to an impressive 14-1 on the dual season and gave the doubles point to Notre Dame for the eighth straight match.

Sophomore Kali Krisik most often plays No. 3 doubles with freshman Kristen Rafael, but Rafael has been out since having to retire during the first set of her singles match on March 22 at Texas A&M.

Against Purdue, Krisik played with junior Katie Potts for the second straight match. The duo lost against Indiana in a tiebreak but bounced back to win 8-6 over Purdue’s Whitney Reys and Alejandra Boeker to complete the doubles sweep.

However, the momentum did not immediately carry over to the singles matches. Purdue started strong, winning the first two sets but the tide turned quickly.

Potts made a statement by dropping a 6-0, 6-0 “bagel” on Purdue’s Boeker. The junior extended her personal winning streak to three and gave the Irish the momentum they needed to take the match.

Krisik fell out of the national rankings this week but continued to play like one of the country’s best. After rolling to a 6-0 first set victory, Krisik pulled out a 7-6 win in the second set to improve to 18-3 in the dual season.

Krisik is now 43-10 so far in her two years at Notre Dame, and her .811 winning percentage is good for third in school history.

Tefft made short work of Purdue’s No. 1 player Brooke Beier, winning 6-3, 6-1. Tefft is now 10-4 in the No. 1 lineup slot, and her two-set win clinched the match for Notre Dame.

Rielley was next off the court, rebounding from a two-set loss at the hands of Indiana’s Lindsey Stuckey to win in three sets over the Boilermakers’ Craven, 5-7, 7-5, 6-3.

Ciobanu battled through a three-set thriller of her own. After splitting the first two sets, Ciobanu and Duru played an abbreviated, tiebreaker third set, which Ciobanu won 10-7. She has now played 35 singles matches this year, the most on the team.

Buck capped the sweep by recovering from a 6-7 loss in the first set to win the last two 6-0, 6-3. Buck increased her personal win streak to six, the longest active streak of any Notre Dame player.

The 7-0 win put Notre Dame a season-high seven games above .500. The Irish will try to carry the momentum on the road with them as they travel to Iowa City, Iowa to face the No. 46 Hawkeyes. First serve will be Friday at 4 p.m.