Tuesday, May 14, 2024

ND Women's Track: Irish to run in separate meets

Notre Dame will split up this weekend, as the Irish will participate in both the Stanford and Purdue Invitationals.

Senior runner Jacqueline Carter and throwers junior Anna Weber and sophomore Jaclyn Espinoza will travel with some other members of the men's team to compete in the Stanford Invitational in Palo Alto, Calif.

"The Stanford meet is a very high level of competition, especially in the distances and throws," Irish coach Tim Connelly said. "We sent people whom we felt would benefit from that level of competition."

The Purdue Invitational will provide solid practice for the rest of the Irish who will be competing against a variety of schools.

"Some of our top people should find good competition there [at Purdue], but there should also be competition that our more developing athletes should benefit from," Connelly said.

The outdoor season has been a success so far for the Irish. The first meet of the season, the Arizona State Invitational, produced a number of solid results.

"Our sprinters, throwers, and 800 meter runners got off to a very good start, with a number of NCAA Regional qualifying marks," Connelly said.

Junior Alyissa Hasan and the Irish 4x400-meter relay team have each qualified to compete in the NCAA regional meet at the end of the season.

Freshman Marissa Treece will not be competing in this weekend's meet and will be held out of competition until at least May.

"Treece won't compete until at least the week before the Big East meet," said Connelly.  "She needs to recover from the World XC meet so that she can have a strong May and June."