SMC Tennis: Belles down Kalamazoo

Saint Mary's finished its conference competition this weekend with back to back wins over Kalamazoo and Alma this Saturday and Sunday to move to fourth in conference.

Saturday the Belles (10-9, 5-3 MIAA) defeated Kalamazoo 6-3, winning five of the six singles matches. The momentum continued Sunday in their 8-1 victory over Alma, winning all six singles and two of the three doubles.

Saint Mary's won only one of the three doubles matches Saturday against Kalamazoo. Saint Mary's No. 3 pair of freshmen Jessica Camp and Mary Therese Lee made their debut as a pair, winning 8-3 over the Hornet's Becky Thomson and Amanda Goumas. No. 1 doubles duo of sophomore co-captain Camille Gebert and freshman Jillian Hurley lost 8-5 to Mary Atallah and Lindsay Zulhke. No. 3 pair of sophomore co-captain Lisa Rubino and freshman Betsy Reed were defeated 8-3 by Kari Larson and Geneva Garcia.

The Belles made up for the doubles losses by dominating the Hornets in the singles, winning five of the six matches. No. 1 singles Gebert defeated Atallah 6-1, 6-3 for her 10th win of the season. Hurley continued her successful season with a 6-3, 6-1 win over Zulhke for her 16th singles victory. No. 3 Reed defeated Larson 6-2, 6-1 for her ninth singles win while No. 5 Rubino went 6-1, 7-6, (7-3) over Goumas. No. 6 singles, freshman Laura Arnold, won Saint Mary's fifth singles match in a 1-0 (10-6) tiebreaker after losing 4-6, and winning 6-4. No. 4 freshman Jessica Kosinski was defeated 6-1, 6-1 by Garcia, her 10th singles loss of the season.

Saint Mary's energy carried over to Sunday as the Belles won two of the three doubles, and swept the singles division. No. 1 doubles duo of Gebert and Hurley won 8-3 over the Scots' Kelly Schwartzkopf and Margaret Curtiss, moving them to 10-9, 6-2 MIAA. No. 2 pair of Rubino and Reed were defeated for the second day in a row as they lost 9-7 to Lindsay Wagner and Laura McKendry, putting them at 7-10, 3-5 MIAA. Camp and Lee continued their play at the No. 3 doubles spot, winning their second match as a pair in their 8-1 victory over Emily Noss and Kelsey Erwin.

The Belles dominated the Scots in singles play with Gebert, Hurley, Reed, Wagner, Kosinski, Reed and Arnold all winning.

Saint Mary's will end its season this weekend at the MIAA Conference Tournament at Albion Friday and Saturday.