SMC Tennis: Belles take fifth in MIAA tourney

Joe Meixell | Monday, April 28, 2008

Saint Mary’s (12-10) took fifth in the MIAA tournament while sophomore co-captain Camille Gebert and freshman Jillian Hurley both earned all-MIAA honors. It marked the first time since 2005 that two Belles were named to the all-conference team.

In Friday’s first match, Saint Mary’s lost 5-1 to Kalamazoo after beating the Hornets 6-3 on April 19, moving them into the consolation round. Saint Mary’s only victories against Kalamazoo came from their four singles wins. No. 1 singles Gebert won 7-5, 6-2, No. 2 Hurley won 7-5 in the first set before not finishing the second, No. 3 Betsy Reed won 6-2, 5-0 in an unfinished second set, and No. 5 Lisa Rubino won 6-4, 1-0 before the second set was concluded.

“Our first round match against Kalamazoo was disappointing,” Gebert said. “Had we started stronger with our doubles, we could have turned the match around, but we did not play our best.”

As part of the consolation draw, Saint Mary’s took on Tri-State Friday. The Belles won two of the three doubles, won three of the six singles, but three singles matches went unfinished. No. 1 doubles of Gebert-Hurley won 8-2 and No. 2 doubles pair of Reed-Rubino won 9-8 (8-6).

In the singles against Tri-State, Saint Mary’s won three matches, and three went unfinished. Gebert, Reed and Arnold all won full matches. Hurley’s, Jessica Kosinski’s and Rubino’s matches were not finished.

Saturday morning Saint Mary’s took on Alma in a match for fifth place in the tournament, winning 5-2. The Belles won two of the three doubles, three of the singles. Two singles matches went unfinished. No. 1 doubles Gebert and Hurley defeated Margaret Curtiss and Kelly Schwartzkopf 8-6; No. 2 Reed and Rubino won 8-3 over Laura McKendry and Lindsay Wagner; No. 3 Camp and Lee lost 9-7 to Kelsey Erwin and Emily Noss.

In singles on Saturday Saint Mary’s won three matches and had two unfinished. No. 1 Gebert defeated Schwartzkopf 6-1, 6-2, No. 2 Hurley beat McKendry 6-1, 6-2; No. 3 Reed defeated Wagner 6-0, 6-3. No. 4 Kosinski was defeated 7-6 (7-3), 6-2 by Heather Spratt. No. 5 Rubino’s match against Curtiss and No. 6 Arnold’s against Noss went unfinished.

“We were able to rebound and win our next to matches, however, to secure fifth place,” Gebert said. “I think that we played with our hearts this weekend. We left it all on the courts, all the hard work, all the late night practices. As usual, our singles were stronger than our doubles play and took care of itself, enable us to take the lead in our last two matches.”

Saint Mary’s ends its season in fifth for the MIAA for the fourth consecutive year.

“I feel as though we’ve all matured in our own way through the course of the season,” Gebert said. “We started a little slow in the beginning of the season, but definitely ended strong. I know that next season we will have more experience, and more confidence, so we can manage to get over the hump in our conference.”