Softball: Weather cancels game against Illinois-Chicago

Notre Dame's game against Illinois-Chicago Tuesday afternoon was cancelled due to rain in the Chicago area.

The game was originally scheduled for March 27th at Flames Field, but the game will not be rescheduled again.

The Irish (22-10, 5-1) will be back in action against Eastern Michigan Wednesday in a doubleheader at Ivy Field beginning at 4 p.m.

The Irish will need to have good pitching against a potent Eagles' offense. EMU senior Ashley Strauss is hitting .800 in her last two games, including going 4-for-5 with a double, a homerun, an RBI, and three runs scored against Central Michigan.

Also hitting well for the Eagles is sophomore outfielder Jenny Scherer. Scherer has been monstrous for the Eagle's at times this season, especially in her efforts during EMU's 12-game tour of California where she was named MAC Player of the week for the period ending March 3. It was the second time in her career that she has won the weekly honor. In addition to hitting for the cycle against San Diego, Scherer hit .353 with a .647 slugging percentage for the week, totaling 12 hits, eight RBIs, seven runs and two home runs. Scherer also had three multi-hit games during the Eagles' swing through California.

Taking the mound for the Irish against this impressive duo will be the one-two punch of junior Brittney Bargar (17-6) and freshman Jody Valdivia.

Bargar won Big East pitcher of the week honors with a 5-0 record and a perfect 0.00 ERA while striking out 27 over 27.1 innings of work.

Valdivia has come down somewhat from her strong start of the season, but the Irish offense and Bargar have lifted her, allowing the freshman to learn some valuable lessons and work her way out of jams.

Senior second basemen Katie Laing took Big East Player of the year honors for the second time this season this week.

Laing went 10 for 19 on the week with 13 RBIs, five runs, four home runs and one double for a .526 batting average and a 1.211 slugging percentage. Laing also stole two bases.

The Irish will then begin their new era in newly constructed Melissa Cook Stadium against Rutgers and Villanova Saturday and Sunday.