Two juniors receive awards

Katie Peralta | Monday, April 7, 2008

Two Notre Dame students, sophomore Eric Riedl and junior Andrew Manion, have been awarded scholarships for the 2008-2009 academic year from the Barry M. Goldwater Scholarship and Excellence in Education Foundation.

Riedl and Manion are math and music double majors from Minnesota and plan on pursuing graduate degrees in mathematics after graduation, a University press release said.

The prestigious scholarship, to which 1,035 students nationwide applied, covers the cost of tuition, fees, books, room and board up to a maximum of $7,500 per year, the release said.

Congress established the scholarship in 1986 to honor Senator Barry M. Goldwater, who served for 56 years as a soldier and statesman.

The scholarship aims to aid students in the fields of mathematics, science and engineering to pursue careers in their respective fields.

Only 321 students nationwide received the scholarship.

“The application process was fairly similar to a college application, just a little more work,” Riedl said.

Riedl started working on the application in mid-October, he said, and got the nomination from Notre Dame on Dec. 12.

Riedl said the first step of the process was to submit an application to the University so that it can choose its four nominees. This application included one long essay and a shorter essay of one or two paragraphs in length.

Each student needed the name of a professor to be contacted for a recommendation, Riedl said, and after the student received a nomination from the University, he or she needed three more recommendations from University science professors.

Similar to the college application process, each nominee needed to submit all transcripts from institutions he or she has attended, college as well as high school, Riedl said.

In addition, each nominee needed to submit a two-page essay and a few shorter essays focusing on his or her area of study.

“Throughout the process I was really impressed by how much the Notre Dame professors had helped me,” Riedl said. “Not only did a couple of them help me edit my essays, almost all of the content of the essays, indeed, the entire application was about opportunities that they had gone out of the way to provide.”