Women's Track: ND gets 11 top-two places

The Irish, split up between the Stanford and Purdue Invitationals, enjoyed another successful weekend, accumulating 11 top-two finishes while dominating the running events at Purdue.

Competing in the Stanford Invitational - one of the more competitive meets of the outdoor season - the Irish managed to accumulate three top-seven finishes from the three athletes that were sent to Palo Alto, Calif.

The Irish garnered solid results in the throws at Stanford from junior thrower Anna Weber and sophomore Jaclyn Espinoza. Weber had the best weekend across both meets for the Irish finishing fourth in the hammer throw and fifth in the shotput at Stanford. Espinoza also had a strong showing taking seventh in the discus throw.

At the Purdue Invitational, Notre Dame had even more success. The Irish took four first-place finishes - all in running events - and seven second-place finishes.

Senior runner Brienne Davis took first in the 100-meter dash for the second consecutive weekend.

In the 400-meter race, the Irish dominated by claiming five of the top six spots.

Freshmen Cora Dayon and Natalie Johnson took first and second respectively for the Irish. Senior Crysta Swayzer, sophomore Samantha Williams and freshman Kelly Langhans took third, fifth and sixth respectively.

Rounding out the great performance by Irish runners at Purdue, sophomore Elizabeth Myers took second in the 800-meter race and senior Ann Mazur finished second in the 1500-meter race.

The Irish relay teams also fared very well at Purdue. Both the 4x100 and 4x400-meter teams took first in their races.

The field events continued to be strengths for Irish this weekend.

Sophomore Elise Knutzen took second in the javelin throw, junior Mary Saxer finished second in the pole vault, and Sophomore Jaime Minor grabbed second in the triple jump. Saxer's mark in the pole vault was good enough to qualify her for the NCAA regional event in May.

Next weekend, Notre Dame will head to the Mississippi Open in Oxford, Miss.