-

-

Women’s Track: Team excels at Championships

Alex Barker | Monday, April 21, 2008

Notre Dame took it to the competition in the field events at the Central Collegiate championships this weekend, hosted by the University of Western Michigan.

The Irish won every throwing event in the meet and finished very strong in the jumping events.

Junior thrower Anna Weber and sophomore thrower Jaclyn Espinoza accounted for three of the Irish’s four first-place finishes. Weber took first in the shot-put and the hammer throw events, both in which she holds NCAA regional qualifying marks.

Espinoza maintained her dominance in the discus throw taking first and reaching the NCAA qualifying mark. She also took second, behind Weber, in the shot-put.

Sophomore thrower Elise Knutzen was a big contributor for the Irish taking first place in the javelin throw.

In the jumping events, sophomore Jaime Minor led the Irish with a second place finish in the triple jump and 14th place finish in the long jump.

Freshman Jessica Sullivan placed 13th in the Pole Vault.

The Irish also logged some quality finishes in many of the running events.

The 5000-meter run was a successful event for the Irish who placed three runners in the top six. Junior Heidi Rocha and seniors Amy Kohlmeier and Ann Mazur placed third, fifth and sixth, respectively.

Junior Becca Bauman ran a strong race in the 3000-meter steeplechase finishing in second-place.

The Irish also sent athletes to the prestigious Mount SAC relays in Walnut, Calif.

There, the Irish continued to be best in the field events.

Junior Mary Saxer, the only Irish athlete to compete in field events, finished first in the Pole Vault.

Sophomore Joanna Schultz took first in the 400-meter dash with Senior Crysta Swayzer finishing ninth.

In the 800-meter race, the freshmen duo of Natalie Johnson and Kelly Langhans posted personal best times placing fourth and sixth, respectively. Each of their times was good enough to qualify them for both the Big East championship meet and the NCAA regional meet.

In the 3000-meter steeplechase, Sophomore Lindsey Ferguson finished fourth rounding out a strong Irish showing.

Next week, the Irish will travel to compete in the Drake and Hillsdale relays. These meets will be the last chance for the Irish to improve their times and marks before they will compete in the Big East indoor championships.