You know what really floats my boat?

Letters to the Editor | Wednesday, April 23, 2008

After a combined six years of observation, wonder, and silent contemplation, and in thanks to the many contributions of close friends (either by idea or example), we present to you a Tim Loftus-inspired rendition of … “You Know What Really Floats My Boat?” … when bagpipe music drifts across the quad … hot dogs for a quarter … impromptu campus-wide snowball fight … body-painted students at every football game (no matter the temperature) … when professors give those much-needed paper extensions … the silence of the grotto in the middle of the night … DPAC concerts for cheap … Legends concerts for free … celebrating an away win in the Stonehenge fountain with 300 of your closest friends … Coach O’Sullivan – “God love ya!” … driving up the tree-lined Notre Dame Ave. for the first time after spending a summer away … when campus is invaded by seemingly-directionless ducks … popcorn and soft drinks in CoMo … guaranteed season tickets to the football games … random smiles from strangers (or did I meet them at Frosh-O?) … people who recycle … the 150-plus Masses celebrated every week on campus … crazy SYR themes (and dates) that start out awkward and end up being a great time … students who think they can make a difference in the world, and actually do … Officer Tim McCarthy … when someone holds the door for you in DeBartolo … Alumni Hall quad dancing on football Fridays … singing the Our Father at dorm Mass … the first snowfall of the year … the last snowfall of the year … closing down Club Hesburgh at 2 a.m. … all-you-can-eat ice cream in the dining halls every day … post-touchdown celebration pushups … the words “Notre Dame” on clothing (for that matter, the word “Irish” as well) … seeing your friends perform live at Acoustic Café … the first warm day of spring when everyone is out on the quad … when the grab-n-go ladies slip you that extra pastry … Viewpoint debates that last for weeks … passion … having the chance to be a part of a unique, lifelong community …”Love thee Notre Dame!” … And that, ahem, is what really floats our boat.

Heather Keane

Welsh Family Hall

Aaron Pierre

O’Neill Hall

April 23