You know what really floats my boat?

After a combined six years of observation, wonder, and silent contemplation, and in thanks to the many contributions of close friends (either by idea or example), we present to you a Tim Loftus-inspired rendition of ... "You Know What Really Floats My Boat?" ... when bagpipe music drifts across the quad ... hot dogs for a quarter ... impromptu campus-wide snowball fight ... body-painted students at every football game (no matter the temperature) ... when professors give those much-needed paper extensions ... the silence of the grotto in the middle of the night ... DPAC concerts for cheap ... Legends concerts for free ... celebrating an away win in the Stonehenge fountain with 300 of your closest friends ... Coach O'Sullivan - "God love ya!" ... driving up the tree-lined Notre Dame Ave. for the first time after spending a summer away ... when campus is invaded by seemingly-directionless ducks ... popcorn and soft drinks in CoMo ... guaranteed season tickets to the football games ... random smiles from strangers (or did I meet them at Frosh-O?) ... people who recycle ... the 150-plus Masses celebrated every week on campus ... crazy SYR themes (and dates) that start out awkward and end up being a great time ... students who think they can make a difference in the world, and actually do ... Officer Tim McCarthy ... when someone holds the door for you in DeBartolo ... Alumni Hall quad dancing on football Fridays ... singing the Our Father at dorm Mass ... the first snowfall of the year ... the last snowfall of the year ... closing down Club Hesburgh at 2 a.m. ... all-you-can-eat ice cream in the dining halls every day ... post-touchdown celebration pushups ... the words "Notre Dame" on clothing (for that matter, the word "Irish" as well) ... seeing your friends perform live at Acoustic Café ... the first warm day of spring when everyone is out on the quad ... when the grab-n-go ladies slip you that extra pastry ... Viewpoint debates that last for weeks ... passion ... having the chance to be a part of a unique, lifelong community ..."Love thee Notre Dame!" ... And that, ahem, is what really floats our boat.

Heather Keane

senior

Welsh Family Hall

Aaron Pierre

sophomore

O'Neill Hall

April 23