BOG: Saint Mary's kicks off government meetings

The Saint Mary's Board of Governance (BOG) welcomed Patrick Daniel, the College's new director of student involvement, during its first meeting of the semester Wednesday night.

Student body president Mickey Gruscinski introduced Daniel to the group before members of BOG introduced themselves to each other to start the year off.

"I started Friday," Daniel told the group. "It's been busy, but I look forward to working with all of you and getting to know your names."

Gruscinski then thanked committee members for their help with First Year Orientation, activities like selling the second annual SMC-tee after it was unveiled last week.

Public Relations commissioner Katie Danko designed the SMC-tee, which is being sold in the Student Government Office for $5. BOG hopes students will wear it on Sept. 5 when Saint Mary's co-hosts the first pep-rally of the year with Knott Hall, Siegfried Hall, and both Pasquerilla East and Pasquerilla West Halls.

"We're going to spread the news of the pep rally by word of mouth," Gruscinski said. "We're undefeated at this rally. Notre Dame is undefeated so it's really going to be special."

BOG members will be walking around the dorms next week to knock on people's doors to tell them about the Pep Rally.

In other BOG News:

u Saint Mary's activities night is tonight from 6-8 p.m.

u The student government office is still open from 8-10 p.m. during the week to broadcast the Democratic National Convention and next week to show the Republican National Convention.

"So far we've only had one non-BOG person show up, but who knows if that will change," Gruscinski said.

u The Twilight Tailgate is Thursday, Sept. 4 on Library Green. Dinner will be served from 4:30-7 p.m. and the movie "Made of Honor" will be shown at 9 p.m. Caramel apples, cotton candy and popcorn will be served during the movie, said Student Activities Board coordinator Michelle Peterson.