Clubs recruit new members at fair

Hoping to woo new freshmen, 98 campus clubs and outside organizations introduced themselves to Saint Mary's students at the College's annual club fair Thursday night in the Angela Athletic Facility.

The Board of Governance (BOG) campus clubs commissioner Becky Whitaker began planning the event last spring, and said she was pleased with the turnout.

"I walked around to a lot of tables and everyone had a good turnout. I love this night," she said. "I love that everybody wants to get involved."

Student body president Mickey Gruscinski agreed that the turnout was excellent this year.

"We had t-shirts at our [student government] table," Gruscinski said. "We had a lot of people stop and pick one up."

The student government table also had sign-up sheets for first year students interested in running for class president. That election will take place on Thursday, Sept. 11, elections commissioner Francesca Johnson announced at Wednesday's BOG meeting.

"We've had about 30 people sign-up for that [so far]," Gruscinski said with about an hour left in the fair.

There were many service organizations from the South Bend community that took part in the fair, including the Center for the Homeless, the Women's Care Center, Logan Center and Saint Margaret's House.

While the event was attended by many first year students, upperclassmen attended to see what kind of activities were offered on campus.

"I went because, as a senior, I have a little more time to do extracurricular activities," Lindsey Appelquist said. "I wanted to see if there were any new clubs on campus that I didn't know about and would want to join. There were a lot of clubs (there) that I didn't even know we had."

Appelquist also said she liked the fact that some Notre Dame clubs, like the Tae Kwon Do club and the Irish Club, came to Saint Mary's to promote their clubs as well.

"I appreciated the effort that Notre Dame's clubs put in to bring their clubs to our campus," she said.