Monday, May 6, 2024

29 arrested at Michigan game Saturday

One person was arrested during Saturday's Notre Dame-Michigan football game and taken to jail for a felony charge of assaulting a police officer and resisting law enforcement, and 22 others were arrested and transported to jail during the game for alcohol related offenses, Notre Dame Security Police (NDSP) assistant director David Chapman said.

Police made 29 total arrests this weekend on the Notre Dame campus. NDSP made the arrests in conjunction with the Indiana State Excise Police, St. Joseph County Police and the South Bend Police Department.

Five people were arrested and transported to jail for public intoxication, one of whom was charged with possession of false identification. One individual was arrested and jailed for trespassing and re-selling tickets on campus.

Two citations were issued inside the stadium for minors consuming alcohol while only two people were asked to leave the stadium, compared to nine ejections last week for "violations of stadium rules," Chapman said in an e-mail to The Observer Monday.

One person was taken to the hospital for intoxication, police said.

Seventeen tickets were issued for alcohol-related offenses such as minor consumption or minor in possession of alcohol outside the stadium.

The 17 tickets issued Saturday show a decrease compared to the Notre Dame-Michigan game in 2006, where 40 alcohol-related tickets were issued and 25 people were ejected from the stadium, according to comments made by NDSP director Phil Johnson in a Sept. 19, 2006 Observer article.

Chapman reminded students that "NDSP will continue to work with other area police officials for all home football games," and that "unlawful behavior should be reported to NDSP by calling 574-631-5555" or by using a call box located in the parking area.

"If your football weekend festivities include the use of alcoholic beverages, remember to follow Indiana laws and drink responsibly," Chapman said. "