BOG: Club will fast for Ramadan

One of Saint Mary's newest groups, the Middle Eastern North African Culture Club, will hold a dinner in honor of Ramadan on Sept. 30 at 7 p.m., club president Mariam Eskander said during the Board of Governance (BOG) meeting Wednesday.

"Usually for Ramadan, it is one community," Eskander said. "They don't eat after sunrise or before sunset. So we are going to break the fast together."

The group is also bringing a professor from Notre Dame who has written articles about Islam, Eskander said.

"I didn't even know a lot about it until I attended an event similar to this one last year, and it went really well," she said.

There will be Christian Culture Lecture in Little Theater at 7:30 p.m., student body president Mickey Gruscinski said.

The Student Activities Board will be sponsoring "Sundaes on Sunday," SAB president Danielle Franklin said. They will be held in Vander Vennet Theater in the basement of the Student Center on Sunday evening. Students are invited to go to eat ice cream and watch the season premiere of Desperate Housewives.

Residence Hall elections will take place Sept. 25, Residence Hall Association president Maura Clougherty said. Saint Mary's students are encouraged to go on PRISM, an online student account system, and place their votes. Students can vote for every hall regardless of where they live.

Saint Mary's will be having a "Date for the Cure," an NCAA event for breast cancer, Saint Mary's Director of Student Development Patrick Daniel said. During the soccer game at 4 p.m., there will be a picnic by the soccer fields. Then during the volleyball game at 7 p.m., there will be pink desserts such as cotton candy and pink lemonade.

The run-off for the first year board elections was held Tuesday, Elections Commissioner Francesca Johnson said. The winners will be announced today.

"Love Your Body Week" will have activities Monday, Tuesday and Thursday next week, Women's Issues Commissioner Becki Faunce said.

Saint Mary's Communications Studies professor Teri Russ, will have a national book release of her work "Bi***ing Bodies" Thursday, and she will give a speech on body image. A reception to follow.