College undergoes renovation

Saint Mary's underwent a massive renovation effort this summer with 11 of the College's buildings undergoing construction. According to an e-mail sent to the student body by Director of Facilities Bill Hambling. LeMans Hall, Havican Hall, Holy Cross Hall, Haggar College Center, Cushwa-Leighton Library, Angela Athletic Facility, Madaleva Hall, McCandless Hall, Moreau Hall, Regina Hall, Reidinger House and the Science Building have all been renovated.

LeMans Hall was under construction as early as spring semester last year, Hambling said in an April 29 Observer article.

"We have installed new drain lines to remove the water shed from the roof away from the sanitary lines and into our storm water system. This repair has eliminated the numerous leaks that were caused from the plugged down spouts and backing up into the walls, causing interior finish damage. Interior finishes that were damaged by the water, have been repaired," Hambling said in the e-mail sent to students over the summer.

In addition, Hambling's e-mail said ceilings, shower heads and valves, new sinks and counters have all been repaired or replaced in the Annex wing of LeMans.

Holy Spirit Chapel in LeMans Hall had its exterior storm windows removed and repaired and the damage to the walls inside the chapel is also still currently being repaired and will be finished August 15.

Madaleva Hall, a classroom building, "is scheduled for a major interior renovation beginning in August 2008," according to the e-mail. In addition, the building's gutters, hutches, blinds and furniture have been repaired as well.

The Cushwa-Leighton Library's roof is still currently under construction as well, and it will be sometime before the project is complete.

"This is an extensive project that will involve total removal of the slate, refastening the wood sub-structure to the concrete deck and replacing the plywood sheeting. New ice melt system will be installed to eliminate the ice-damming problem," he said.

Hambling, however, assured students that the main doors of the Library would always be open.

Some interior work was done on the carpets and tiles of McCandless Hall, and the showers are being regrouted, Hambling said.

In Angela Athletic Facility the "gym floor has been refinished" and the internal and external handrails have been repaired and repainted.