Construction necessary evil

In response Rusty Marsh's "Campus construction ugly and inconvenient" (Sept. 1), I can agree that construction is indeed an inconvenient item to deal with on a daily basis. That is about as far as I can go.

I urge Mr. Marsh, and those who are like-minded to consider several things. Construction takes time and equipment. Buildings do not spring up out of the ground by themselves in a matter of days. If you were unaware of this, welcome to the real world. Every single building that is utilized on campus (yes, even the magnificent Dome and the Basilica) has had to undergo this process to become what they are today. A beautiful campus is not instantaneous, even at a Catholic University.

After time, when buildings are complete, Mr. Marsh's "beautiful university" will return, rest assured. I might add also that the work being done on the Basilica now is to ensure that its beauty and grace remains.

I can completely understand if I fail to persuade you to give the complaining-about-construction-on-a-daily-basis up, but it is very un-Christian and exceedingly crass, especially on Labor Day, to make the remark of "questionable contractors." Having worked many of my summers as a contractor myself, I apologize that the appearance and sometimes moral standards of your typical contractor cannot match up with your own values and character. If you would like to see work of this nature performed by people that aren't questionable, by all means go ahead and give it a try yourself. It is my personal guarantee that you will enjoy it immensely, and would love to make a career out of it. If not, try to remember that all work has dignity and all workers deserve our respect.

As to "unnecessary trees," having grown up in the desert I cannot recall ever having seen one. Perhaps you would prefer a landscaping based on sand? Jokes aside, greenery is something that should always be appreciated, and most especially given the direction this University is trying to take with regards to the environment.

So for everyone that is frustrated with the construction process here on campus, please take the time to understand that it is something necessary for this University to do in order to forge on and provide a wonderful and beneficial experience to future students, something that has been afforded to us by past generations.

Kurt Nowak

sophomore

Duncan Hall

Sept. 1