Men's Golf: Scodro finishes sixth overall

Freshman Max Scodro's second-round 67 led the Notre Dame 'B' squad at the John Dallio Memorial Tournament in Lemont, Ill. The Depaul University-hosted tournament was played at the par 72, 6898-yard Ruffled Feathers Golf Club and featured 15 teams in competition.

The Irish contingent was scored as individuals in the event, with five young members of the team competing. Scodro tied for the tournament low and finished in sixth place overall, and each Notre Dame golfer played competitively throughout the event.

Head coach James Kubinski, whose team has played with flashes of brilliance beside mediocre outings this season, said he's confident that his players are beginning to put it together.

"They have a great deal of physical talent," Kubinski said. "They just need to realize and believe it. That takes time."

Southern Illinois claimed first place after a playoff against Nova-Southeastern, while Georgetown freshman phenom Brian Dorfman took home medalist honors with a 7-under 209.

Aside from Scodro, three other Irish underclassmen, along with junior Olavo Batista, competed in the event. Scodro's one-under 215 (75-67-73) in his first collegiate tournament led Notre Dame in scoring, while fellow freshman Tom Usher turned in a six-over 222 (75-70-77), good enough for 22nd place.

Sophomore Dustin Zhang, who started three tournaments for the Irish 'A' team last season, finished a single stroke behind his teammate Usher, tallying a 223 over the three rounds (71-74-78, tied for 26th overall). Freshman Chris Walker played unevenly in his first collegiate tournament, adding a 78 and 81 to his second-round 70 to finish the tournament at 13-over 229 (tied for 47th overall).

Batista, who has not broken the 'B' squad in his career, rounded out the team with a 235 (76, 78, 81, tied for 68th overall).

Strong play from the Irish underclassman has been par for the course this season. Sophomores Tyler Hock, Jeff Chen and Connor Alan-Lee lead the team in scoring at the USF Olympic Intercollegiate two weeks ago, and with no seniors on the Notre Dame roster, it's the perfect time for the underclassmen to shine. Kubinski said he relishes his role in helping his young players develop.

"None [of the underclassmen] have a great deal of college experience," Kubinski said. "To be successful, we'll just need a little time for the young players to learn on the job and grow. My job will be to build their confidence."

The Irish 'A' squad will compete Sept. 28-30 at the Saint Mary's Invitational at the Poppy Hills Golf Club in Pebble Beach, Calif.