Monday, May 13, 2024

Police make 35 arrests at football game

Thirty-five people were arrested and taken into custody on Saturday, according to Notre Dame Security/Police (NDSP) Assistant Director David Chapman.

Arrests were made by NDSP, the Indiana State Excise Police, St. Joseph County Police and South Bend Police.

Four of the custodial arrests, defined by Chapman as when the "person is taken into custody and taken to the county jail," were for public intoxication outside the stadium. One custodial arrest was made outside the stadium for disorderly conduct, one for minor consuming alcohol and two for provision of false information and minor consuming alcohol. In addition, there were two felony custodial arrests - one for theft and another for aggravated assault.

At the stadium, 25 people were arrested for public intoxication and transported to jail. Three people were ejected from the stadium for "alcohol-related violations of stadium rules," Chapman said.

In addition, 16 arrest tickets, defined by Chapman as when "the person is not taken into custody, but is issued a citation and must appear in court when contacted by the court," were issued to adults for alcohol-related offenses such as minor consuming alcohol or minor in possession of alcohol. Two arrest tickets were issued for "inducing a minor to consume alcohol" and one was issued for provision of false identification.

When asked if there are special procedures for handling students involved in these situations, Chapman said, "I cannot say what usually happens when a student is involved. It is on a case by case basis, depending on the circumstances."

NDSP and other police departments will continue to work together during home football games, Chapman said. He encouraged students and visitors to report unlawful behavior to NDSP by calling 574-631-5555 or using a call box in one of the parking areas.

Chapman advised students and visitors to not let "alcohol get in the way of your safety or fun or keep you from enjoying a great football game."

"Keep in mind that laws regarding the use of alcohol will be enforced and you are responsible for your conduct," he said. "Law enforcement officers will arrest underage drinkers on campus and at tailgate parties."