Reckers cut the cheese

Sam Werner | Wednesday, September 3, 2008

Upon returning to Notre Dame, there were several specific things I was looking forward to. Football season, quarter dogs, and, yes, even The Observer, were reasons that when the calendar turned to August, all I could do is count down until it was time to come back to South Bend.

But one of, if not the most anticipated aspects of my glorious return was the simple pleasure of sitting down at Reckers at 2 a.m. on a Friday or Saturday night, and digging in to a heaping portion of French fries with a helping of nacho cheese on the side for dipping purposes.

So you can imagine my surprise when I ambled into Reckers on Friday night after a festive night of revelry and declared my order of “large cheese fries” to the cashier, only to hear, “Sorry, we don’t have nacho cheese anymore.”

I thought I must have been mistaken, perhaps the cheese machine was broken, or they were simply out of stock tonight. Nope. No more cheese fries. Ever.

No cheese fries? One of the mainstays of my freshman year of college just thrown out the window, cast aside without second thought? Cheese fries not only satisfied my late-night weekend cravings, but also got me through some very, very late nights in The Observer office.

I wish I could have been present at the meeting when the decision was handed down to take my beloved cheese fries off the menu. I would love to hear the University’s rationale for this one. I’m all for eating healthy and promoting a good diet, but spinach vegetable wraps don’t quite do it for me at 3 in the morning. At that point, I want something that lets me feel my arteries hardening.

It’s not just the cheese, or just the fries, which make Reckers cheese fries so special. It’s the way the two flavors intermingle on your palette to create a satisfaction that hits a spot other snacks just can’t.

A large part of Reckers’ appeal is the fact that it’s open 24 hours, and cheese fries are the ultimate 24-hour food. Let’s be honest, do cheese fries ever sound appealing before midnight? Not really. It’s nine o’clock right now, and even though I’m writing this ode to the cheese fry, I don’t really feel a strong desire to actually eat any. Talk to me in 4 or 5 hours though, and I’ll undoubtedly be craving some.

It’s not too late for Reckers to rectify this problem. I know for a fact that there are numerous other sources of nacho cheese on this campus. Transport some of that over and just keep a supply on hand. They could even just take what’s left over from the dining halls after dinner.

Please, Reckers, don’t do this to us. It’s just not fair.