Senate dismisses dorm event rumors

The Student Senate squashed rumors Wednesday that the abrupt cancellation of Dillon Hall's annual pep rally would lead to the abolishment of siganture events in other dorms.

Alumni Hall senator Zach Reuvers asked about the reason for the cancellation, saying he feared other dorms' signature events could be terminated in the future.

"There is a lot of concern in Alumni about other events getting cancelled," Reuvers said.

"The cancellation of the Dillon pep rally was an internal decision as far as we know," Assistant Vice President for Student Activities Brian Coughlin said.

And student body vice president Grant Schmidt said no other dorm's event was in danger, and called the speculation over SAO's involvement "rumors."

"As of right now, no other events have been cancelled," he said. "As far as we know, the decision on the pep rally was an internal decision within Dillon."

In other Senate news:

uThe Senate praised the Office of Information Technology's (OIT) recent decision to switch from Webmail to the Google-based Gmail.

"The transition from Webmail to Gmail has been deemed by OIT to be an overwhelming success," said Devin Fee, the Senate Campus Technology Committee chair. "I am highly confident this is the best e-mail application for Notre Dame at this time."

Fee said some accounts, namely those used by clubs and dorms, still needed to be added to the Gmail system.

uStudent body president Bob Reish announced he would be sending a letter to all students before the first football game Saturday reminding them of their responsibility to be good neighbors. Reish said the letter was aimed at avoiding another ordinance such as the one almost passed by the South Bend Common Council last year, which would have required students to register for a permit with the city to hold parties at off-campus houses.

"We are all well aware of what happened last year and we want to be cognizant to be good neighbors," Reish said.

uStudent government plans to hold a mock election sometime in early October, Reish said.

"We've been trying to figure out the best ways to increase student voice around campus," he said.

In the week leading up to the mock election, Schmidt said there will be several events on campus to raise students' political awareness, such as a panel discussion with political science professors.