-

-

SMC Golf: Belles head to Michigan

Alex Barker | Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Saint Mary’s will look to close the gap in the MIAA season standings Wednesday when the team heads to Thornapple Pointe in Grand Rapids, Mich., to compete in the third of four fall season jamborees.

The Belles find themselves one stroke behind second-place Hope and 37 behind first-place Olivet.

Saint Mary’s coach Mark Hamilton said he is looking for steady improvement each week from his team.

“Right now, we are really struggling to get four good scores. Our top three are usually pretty solid, but we aren’t getting consistency from our fourth and fifth spots,” Hamilton said. “We are a ways behind Olivet and they are the team we are trying to beat. We just need to focus on gaining ground on the teams ahead of us.”

Belles freshman Natalie Matuszak has been on a tear in her rookie season at Saint Mary’s and will look to lead the team back into league contention.

“[Matuszak] is developing into a great college player,” Hamilton said. “She is the best freshman I’ve coached in my seven years at Saint Mary’s.”

Hamilton has not given up on his team’s chances to finish atop the conference.

“If we can get healthy, we have a shot to make up some ground,” Hamilton said. “Our goal is still to win the conference this fall and have momentum heading into the spring.”

The team at the top of standings after the fall season is declared the MIAA champion but the automatic NCAA tournament berth will not be determined until the spring season.