SMC Golf: Saint Mary's starts year slowly

Entering the first MIAA Jamboree of the season, Saint Mary's had hoped to make some noise and establish itself as the premier team in the conference and one of the premier teams in Division III golf.

The Belles, however, found themselves in a familiar position after the 18-hole competition, finishing in third place with a cumulative score of 340 behind defending champion Olivet College and Hope College, who finished with scores of 322 and 336, respectively.

Despite the third place finish, the Belles had their fair share of strong individual rounds. All five Saint Mary's golfers finished with one of the 25 lowest scores of the tournament. Sophomore Rosie O'Connell's 83 was the low round for the Belles and 10th-best in the field.

The three Saint Mary's freshmen that started did not disappoint, as each golfer broke 90. Freshman Natalie Matuszak continued her solid play and finished right on O'Connell's heels with an 84, good for 11th in the field. Fellow freshman Christine Brown finished with an 85, which tied for the 12th lowest round in the field.

Matuszak and Brown's classmate Kailey Jacob finished in a tie for the 17th lowest round in the field with her score of 88. Senior Perri Hamma's 92 was tied for the 23th lowest score in the field.

Olivet's 322 set a new MIAA course record at the Medalist Golf Club. Olivet's strong performance was a result of superb individual performances, as all five Olivet golfers finished with scores of 85 or lower. Junior Megan Rimmel's 78 was the lowest score of the day.

Saint Mary's returns to the course on Sept. 20 at the Zollner Golf Course, the home course of Trine University.