-

-

Spotlight on Serra

Analise Lipari | Friday, September 5, 2008

The 2008-2009 season at the University’s Snite Museum of Art is currently featuring an exhibit of prints by artist Richard Serra. “Arc of the Curve and Paths and Edges: Prints by Richard Serra” is in some ways a departure for the artist, who is better known for his works of sculpture.

A native of San Francisco, Richard Serra is primarily known for his work in minimalist sculpture with large pieces of sheet metal. Famous for his statement on site-specific art, “To remove the work is to destroy it,” Serra has also exhibited work at the Guggenheim Museum Bilbao, the Netherlands, and a retrospective on his work in New York at that city’s Museum of Modern Art. Hardly one to shy away from political content in his work, in 2006 Serra showed a litho crayon drawing of an Abu Grahib prisoner with the caption “STOP BUSH” at New York’s Whitney Museum of American Art. The drawing was then adapted for promotional materials surrounding the Whitney’s Biennial show. He has also worked with video as an artistic medium.

Like his sculpture, his collection of prints currently being shown at the Snite is often focused on pushing the boundaries of printmaking. With alternative sizing and dimensions, the prints are fascinating, dominating pieces of art. The exhibit consists of 26 prints from two of Serra’s collections, 2004’s “Arc of the Curve” and 2007’s “Paths and Edges.” The prints will appear at the Snite courtesy of collector Paul Schupf, in honor of Rev. Theodore M. Hesburgh. The exhibit is scheduled to run through October 12th.

For more information about the Snite, visit their Web site, www.nd.edu/~sniteart.