-

-

Weekend Events Calendar

Observer Scene | Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Thursday: “Mountaintop Removal” (2007). Browning Cinema, DPAC

If you’re one of the hundreds of students to participate in one of the University’s Appalachian seminars each fall or spring break, then it’s likely that you’re familiar with the coal-mining process of mountaintop removal. If you haven’t gone on a CSC seminar, maybe if you have, or even if the Forum’s got you interested in learning more, visit the Browning Cinema tonight for the latest film in the ND Forum Films series on sustainable energy, “Mountaintop Removal.”

Directed by Michael O’Connell, this documentary examines the practice of mountaintop removal and the conflict brewing between coal companies and West Virginian activists over the controversial mining technique. Tickets cost $3 for students – a small price to pay for being well-informed.

Friday: Dennis Stroughmatt & Creole Stomp at Football Fridays Block Party – 100 Block S. Michigan Street

Dennis Stroughmatt & Creole Stomp is a nationally known band famous for their Louisiana-style music. Their blend of French Creole, Cajun, Blues and Zydeco style music is heading north to South Bend for the latest in the series of Football Friday block parties being held downtown.

The bandleader, Dennis Stroughmatt, is a Francophone and an expert in French Creole music and culture, often traveling to give seminars and workshops on the French presence in North America. If you’re looking for a night of spirited New Orleans soul, look no further. Tickets are $5 per person, and two-for-one tickets will be sold from 6 p.m. to 7 p.m. Friday night. Students can purchase tickets at the College Football Hall of Fame and the South Bend Marriott Hotel.

Saturday: Images from the Era of the French Revolution. Snite Museum of Art

If you’ve got some free time before Saturday’s football game, or if you’re looking for some high art entertainment away from the gridiron, visit the Snite Museum this Saturday.

The Museum is currently featuring an exhibit called “Images from the Era of the French Revolution,” a collection of French drawings and paintings that rose out of the turbulent years of the Revolution and the Terror.

The exhibit is inspired by a collaborative conference to be held in the Annenberg Auditorium in October, “New Paradigms for Revolutionary Studies: French-American Colloquium.”

Sunday: Mighty Clouds of Joy – Visiting Artist Series; Leighton Concert Hall

With almost 50 years of experience singing gospel music, and over 30 albums to their name, Mighty Clouds of Joy are legendary gospel artists. Their impressive praise and worship repertoire gives way to the faith and understanding of the group’s members, whose love for their craft is obvious. “Folks find something in gospel that they don’t’ find in any other kind of music,” Joe Ligon, lead vocalist of Mighty Clouds of Joy, told the DPAC Web site. “They know Christ is real – even though they’ve never seen Him, because they can feel his presence in gospel music.” The latest in the DPAC’s series of Visiting Artists, Mighty Clouds of Joy will perform at 2:00 p.m. on Sunday. Tickets for students cost a mere $15, a solid discount given the $40 price tag for general admission.

Contact Analise Lipari at alipari@nd.edu.

-

-

Weekend Events Calendar

Observer Scene | Thursday, September 18, 2008

Thursday, Sept. 18 FTT Talks present Theresa Rebeck at 5 p.m. Browning Cinema. Theresa Rebeck is a celebrated writer and graduate of the Notre Dame from 1980. She has published a book of comedic essays based on her experiences writing for show business entitled “Free Fire Zone.” In it, she draws upon her history as a television screenwriter for shows such as “Dream On, “L.A. Law,” and “Third Watch.” Rebeck was also a writer and producer for “Canterbury’s Law,” “Law and Order: Criminal Intent” and “NYPD Blue” and she also produced the feature film “Harriet the Spy.” Random House/Shay Areheart Books recently published Rebeck’s first novel, “Three Girls and Their Brother.” She is a widely produced playwright with many New York productions on her résumé. In her talk, Rebeck will address what she considers to be a writer’s primary concerns: How to tell a story with truth and vision and how to maneuver as a dramatic writer in a difficult world. This is a free but ticketed event. Tickets can be reserved by calling the ticket office at 574-631-2800.

Friday, Sept. 19: Comedians Theo and Bert at Legends 10 p.m.You may recognize Theo Von and Bert Kreischer from Comedy Central’s ‘Reality Bites Back” competition, in which 10 comedians competed in reality show spoof competitions. Von won the competition. He is a comedian you might also know from NBC’s “Last Comic Standing (Season 4),” Comedy Central’s “Live at Gotham” or my personal favorite MTV’s “Road Rules.” Von was a regular on the Road Rules/Real World challenges in which he usually dominated physically while also cracking everyone up with his humor. He has been performing stand up comedy for five years with nightly shows in Los Angeles when he is not traveling. His bits range from ranting about his dysfunctional family, the South and poking fun of his own life.Bert was discovered by Rolling Stone Magazine while attending Florida State and named “The #1 Party Animal in the Country” which sparked his comedy career. He has worked with Will Smith for television projects, co-hosted “The X-Show” on FX, and starred in the TV pilot “Life with David J.” Bert currently hosts Spike TV’s “Fresh Baked Video Games.” This is event is free, but requires a ND/SMC/HC ID.

Saturday, Sept. 20: The Compleat Wrks of Wm Shkspr (Abr.), South Bend Civic Theatre at 3 p.m. and 8 p.m. Also on Sunday at 3 p.m.This outlandish, fast-paced play was first performed in 1999. Three actors, Matthew Bell, Cecil Eastman and Ted Manier, present all of Shakespeare’s 37 plays in 97 minutes. The play is a hilarious production of some of Shakespeare’s best-known lines and stories. It satirizes theater, academia and Shakespeare’s’ classic, but often outlandish plots. Highlights of the show include Othello as a rap, the histories as a football game and Hamlet presented in all sorts of crazy ways. The play should be outrageous and fun and even elicits audience participation. The play, written by Adam Long, Daniel Singer, and Jess Winfield, has fielded rave reviews. Tickets are $15 and can be purchased at www.sbct.org.

Sunday, Sept. 21: Gianna Commito Art Exhibit at Saint Mary’s College Moreau Art Galleries. This new art exhibit displays the new work of Gianna Commito. The solo exhibition is on display at three galleries at SMC: Hammes, Little Theatre and Sister Rosaire. Commito is currently an Assistant Professor of Painting at Kent State University. She received her MFA from University of Iowa and her BFA from Alfred University. Her paintings and drawings are derived from architectural sources and she is known to build a complex matrix of color, form, transparency and texture on a two-dimensional surface. Her drawings are dynamic and pull the viewer in closer to examine the interesting spaces and planes of the work. The exhibit, which runs until Sept. 26, is open to the public.

Contact Caitlin Ferraro at ceferrar1@nd.edu.

-

-

Weekend Events Calendar

Observer Scene | Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Thursday September 11th. 9/11 Prayer Service on North Quad 9:30 p.m. Finish your day off right by attending a prayer service to remember those whose lives were lost or affected by the tragedy of the World Trade Center bombings. The service will take place by Stonehenge/Fieldhouse Mall on North Quad. It will include music by the 4:7 band Totus Tuus, prayer, reflection and the luminous mysteries of the rosary. The service will last until 10:30 p.m. Also on Thursday, festivities at Legends beginning at 10 p.m. A full night of fun at beginning with Student Comedy and Humor Artists, followed by the Late Night Tailgate at 12:00 a.m. Come for free tailgate food, a corn hall tournament and other festivities. The events at Legends are free, but a ND/SMC/HC ID is required.

Friday, September 12th: Forum Films: Sustainable Energy. “Up the Yangtze” at 6:30 p.m. and 9:30 p.m. in Browning Cinema. Get a jump-start on the Notre Dame Forum this year by venturing out to see “Up the Yangtze,” directed by Yung Chang. Chung’s film depicts the difficult situation surrounding China’s Three Gorges Dam on the Yangtze River. It will be the largest hydroelectric power station in the world, but is displacing more than a million residents and destroying numerous historical sites. The film follows two young people, each affected by the construction and captures the beauty of the landscape before it is destroyed and lost forever. At just over an hour and a half, this is a great way to get caught up on a pertinent current event before the forum. Tickets are $3.

Saturday, September 13th. SUB Movies presents “Iron Man” in 101 DeBartolo at 8 p.m. and 10:30 p.m. “Iron Man” is more than just another super hero movie. It centers on the character of Tony Stark (Robert Downey Jr.), a sarcastic, morally ambiguous playboy and engineering genius. While in Afghanistan showing off his new missile Stark is captured by evildoers who want him to build the missile for them. Instead, he creates an armored suit and breaks out, escaping back to the United States where he announces that his company, Stark Industries, will stop producing weapons. But not everyone is happy with Stark’s change of heart. Can ‘Iron Man’ stop his nefarious foes? The film also stars Gwyneth Paltrow, Jeff Bridges and Terrence Howard as Stark’s friend Col. James Rhodes. Admission is $3. (There are also showings on Thursday 10 p.m., Friday 8 p.m. and 10:30 p.m.)

Sunday, September 14th. Campus Ultimate Frisbee Tournament 12-8 p.m. Do you love to play ultimate Frisbee or just want fun plans for this Sunday? Join in the campus wide ultimate tournament by forming co-ed teams of at least five people to play in 20 minute 5-on-5 games at Stepan Fields. Sign up at LaFortune between 8-11 today! If you win your bracket, you will compete in the championship bracket. The entrance fee is $5 per person and all proceeds go to Robinson Community Learning Center. Even if ultimate is not your game, go out to Stepan to support your friends and a great cause!

Contact Caitlin Ferraro at cferrar1@nd.edu.

-

-

Weekend Events Calendar

Observer Scene | Thursday, September 4, 2008

Thursday, September 4: Best of LaFortune 2008 Student Center Open House. 9 p.m. – 11 p.m. This annual open house event allows students to tour LaFun, learn about its offices, sample some food and enjoy entertainment. While supplies last, there will be samples of Sbarro’s Pizza in the basement, Subway Cookies and Ice Cream Treats in the Ballroom and Burger King Chicken Nuggets on the third Floor. Be sure to get there early, because samples will go fast. Want to play in the grand prize game show that starts at 11 p.m. in the ballroom? While you are making your way through LaFun get your card stamped at the specific locations and you can play games based on popular trivia shows to win fabulous prizes. There is even an opportunity to win tickets to the football game against Michigan State. Be sure to check out the billiards contest in the basement, and play Guitar Hero in the main lounge. You can also win great prizes if your dorm section has one of the highest attendance rates. And of course, be sure you make your way to the Ballroom to watch the Best of Acoustic Cafe from 9-11 p.m. The six best performers from last year will play and sing live at this free event.

Saturday, September 6: Roger Drawdy & the Firestarters performing at Fiddler’s Hearth in South Bend. 9 p.m. What to do after the Fighting Irish (hopefully) defeat the San Diego Aztecs earlier in the day? Well long after the taste of brats has left your mouth, venture to North Main Street to enjoy a delicious meal at Fiddler’s Hearth and some fabulous entertainment. The Firestarters play Irish music with an edge of American rock. The band began in 2000, and has toured numerous venues across the Midwest. The Celtic rock group has four albums already out, with their most recent, entitled “Hallowed Ground,” released in 2007. Check out the band’s MySpace music page for a sample of what you can see Saturday night.

Friday, September 5: FTT Talks Presents Patrick Whitesell. 2 P.M., Browning Cinema. DeBartalo Performing Arts Centers and the Department of Film, Television and Theater have come together to bring Patrick Whitesell to campus to speak about his career as a Hollywood agent. He has been a partner at Endeavor since 2001 and has been involved in its recent growth and development. His long list of clients includes high-profile actors and actresses such as Ben Affleck, Jessica Alba, Christian Bale, Matt Damon, Jennifer Garner, Kate Hudson, Hugh Jackman, Jude Law, Ellen Page, Joaquin Phoenix and Charlie Sheen. Whitesell was previously the head of the talent department at United Talent Agency, but began his career at InterTalent where he soared from the agency’s mailroom to a full-fledged agent after only two years. If you have any interest in a career in the entertainment industry, or just find it fascinating, this talk is for you. It is a free, but ticketed event. Call the ticket office at 574.631.2800 to reserve your seat for a chance to hear Whitesell share his wisdom.

Sunday, September 7: PAC Classic 100 Presents Frederico Fellini’s La strada, 3 p.m., Browning Cinema. Felini directs his wife Giulietta Masina in a film that took the Oscar for Best Foreign Film in 1956. After her destitute mother sells her to a ruthless gypsy carnival performer Zampan (Anthony Quinn), Gelsomina (Masina) adjusts to life under the cruel strongman. Struggling to maintain optimism, Gelsomina becomes the target of Zampan’s violent rage and when he bumps into his enemy the Fool (Richard Basehart), fury explodes. It’s a movie Roger Ebert claims functions as the “bridge between the postwar Italian neorealism which shaped Fellini, and the fanciful autobiographical extravaganzas which followed.” Don’t miss the film that brought Fellini and Masina to fame. The 35 mm print is in Italian with English subtitles. Tickets are $6 for the public, $5 for faculty/staff, $4 for seniors and $3 for students.