Sunday, May 12, 2024

Women's Golf:Thanks to record round, squad now in first place

Breaking the program record score for a single round by two strokes, Notre Dame now stands in second place at the Heather Farr Memorial.

The second-round five-under par 283 bested the previous mark. a 285 set in the first round of last year's Cougar Classic.

Leading the charge was sophomore So-Hyun Park, who paced the Irish with her two-under par 70. Park made her way into the record books as well, as she fired a six-under par 66 in the afternoon session equalling the previous mark set by her senior teammate Lisa Maunu, also at last season's Cougar Classic. The sophomore's effort was highlighted through her eight birdies on the day. She also finds herself in a first-place tie with Kay Hoey of CSU-Long Beach at eight-under par 136.

Breathing down her teammate's neck was Maunu, who shot a one-under par 71 in the morning session followed by a two-under par 70 in the afternoon holes. Her rounds have her in the top-10, in a tie for seventh at three-under par 141.

Junior Annie Brophy didn't do so shabby herself, shooting a one-over 73 in the second round to go with her first round total of even-par 72, placing her in a tie for 16th at one-over par 145.

Freshman Becca Hunter did her part to help propel the Irish to their record day, firing a three-over 75 and a two-over 74, good enough for a 29th-place tie at five-over 149.

Rounding out the list was sophomore Katie Conway, who saw a one-stroke improvement over her first round score, shooting a three-over par 75. Through the first two rounds, she is in a tie for 42nd, with a score of seven-over par 151.

The Irish cannot afford to ease their pace, although they have built a comfortable lead. Colorado is four strokes behind them with a score of one-over par 577, and CSU-Long Beach trails the Buffalo with a five-over 581.

The invitational concludes today as the final round is scheduled to begin at 8:30 MST.