Wednesday, May 1, 2024

Dance marathon hosts charity sale

Saint Mary's Dance Marathon will be giving students the opportunity to shop and donate to Riley's Children Hospital at the same time during its Charity Denim sale today from 2 p.m. to 7 in the Earley Conference Center located in the basement of the Student Center.

The sale includes mostly designer jeans but there will also be hooded sweatshirts and other apparel sold as well. The group will be accepting debit and credit cards.

The committee is asking for a $1 donation at the door, and then students are free to shop. About $10 will be given for every pair of jeans sold, Fundraising Co-Chair Maura Clougherty said.

The event was held last year, and due to its original success, the group decided to host it again. Clougherty found the idea while on Facebook. The event has generally been used by sororities in the past.

"It seemed like such a perfect event for Saint Mary's, since girls love designer jeans, but can't always afford them with the price of tuition, books, gas, etc," Clougherty said.

Last year more than 200 people were in attendance and the board raised almost $1,200.

"It was a great success last year and we [my fundraising committee and the DM board] are so excited to host Charity Denim again this year," Clougherty said.

The committee is able to sell the jeans at prices reduced anywhere from 40 to 70 percent because they are last year's or last season's styles. Brands include Joe's Jeans, 7 for all Mankind, True Religion, and many others that you would find at department stores like Nordstrom's, Macy's, Saks Fifth Avenue and other specialty stores, Clougherty said.

Clougherty and the committee are optimistic about today's turnout. "Since this event is so unique, people are attracted to it. It's a chance to go shopping without leaving campus," she said.

Dance Marathon also has other events planned for the year. The committee goes canning at Kroger. "Canning is where we stand outside with our Riley's buckets and ask for donations," Clougherty said.

The committee has a Facebook group called Charity Denim which references links for more information including www.charitydenim.com

"All money raised from this event goes towards our grand total, which will be revealed the night of the Marathon," Clougherty said. The Marathon will take place April 3 to 4. It will be the third time Saint Mary's has hosted Dance Marathon.