Entrepreneurship club hosts speaker

The Entrepreneurship Society hosted a speech by Tom Suddes, who gave tips on how to become a successful entrepreneur Tuesday night.

"I'm challenging you to think big," he said. "You do what you need to do to be able to get stuff done."

Suddes, founder of the group For Impact, an organization which seeks to assist nonprofit groups change their approach to raising money, began his presentation by linking students to one another with a rope and encouraging the pairs to try to escape the tangle. He let the students struggle for a few minutes and told them they needed to learn to think differently, just like entrepreneurs.

In addition to the first "test" of the night, Suddes had the students participate in four others that ranged from trying to find the simplest way possible to balance an egg to trying to interpret business plans sketched out on napkins.

"My goal tonight was to try and excite you, and get you thinking about the opportunities that exist in being an entrepreneur," he said.

Suddes has been involved in helping a plethora of nonprofit groups, which were diverse in both interests as well as geographic location. In addition to founding For Impact, he has founded 18 other organizations. In 1996, he won Success Magazine's "Join Our Revolution" Entrepreneurial Poverty-Fighting Contest, which had as its prize a 23-day worldwide trip to help 3rd World Micro Entrepreneurs.

The Suddes Group, also founded by Suddes, is partnered with For Impact, an organization that seeks to assist nonprofit groups change their approach to raising money. The Suddes Group was created by Suddes as a way to help nonprofits, one at a time, make the transition to raising even greater amounts of money. Derived from this, For Impact was spawned in 2001 as a joint effort between Suddes and Nick Fellers to educate large quantities of people about their new strategy.