-

-

Irish finish fall schedule with disappointing tournament

Eric Prister | Tuesday, October 28, 2008

The Irish finished off their fall season with a somewhat disappointing performance, finishing in seventh place at the Landfall Traditional tournament in Wilmington, N.C. The Irish shot a plus-38 326 on the first day of the tournament, their worst round in two years.

“On paper, we should have finished no worse than fourth. We just played really bad the first day,” Irish coach Susan Holt said. “You can’t go out and put yourself in a 30-shot hole after round one and try to rebound after that.”

The Irish dropped to 11th place at the Jack Nicklaus Pines Course after day one. They were able to jump up to sixth on day two before dropping one spot in the final day.

Holt said that she, along with the team as a whole, was very disappointed in their performance in the last tournament of the fall season.

“It was disappointing because we don’t feel that we got beat. We beat ourselves. Those are harder to take,” she said.

Despite the teams overall performance, Holt was encouraged by the individual performance of freshman Becca Huffer. Huffer led the team and finished the tournament with a plus-12 228, good enough for 12th place overall.

“[Huffer] had a really good individual performance. She’d been close on several other times this semester to really putting in a solid round,” Holt said. “Based on the conditions, I though she played really well.”

The freshman shot back-to-back plus-one rounds and finished the tournament with four birdies and 38 pars.

The Irish now take a three-month hiatus from tournament play, but will look to improve their performance in the upcoming spring season.

“I would say [the fall season] was pretty average. We have pretty high expectations and certainly we weren’t able to fulfill those,” Holt said.

“Hopefully we’ll be able to rebound in the spring. We play some really good competition, which should give us the opportunity to be in the mix of the top 25.”