-

-

Men’s Soccer: Biting the Big East

Joe Meixell | Thursday, October 30, 2008

It may have been the biggest game in Georgetown’s recent program history, but it was Notre Dame who made the statement Wednesday afternoon with a 2-1 victory at Alumni Field.

Only two points behind the Irish entering the game, the Hoyas arrived in South Bend eyeing their first ever Big East Blue Division title. With the victory, the Irish not only denied Georgetown that accomplishment, but they also clinched at least a share of the Big East Blue Division title for the second consecutive season – Notre Dame shared the title with Connecticut in 2007.

“Georgetown knew what was at stake today,” Irish coach Bobby Clark said. “It was a big game for their program, and they were very ready. To win the Big East two years in a row is a big accomplishment. It would be nice to win it outright this year.”

Leading the way for Notre Dame Wednesday was forward Jeb Brovsky who tallied both Irish goals. The first came in the 24th minute when, after receiving a pass from fellow forward Bright Dike, Brovsky slipped past a defender and fired past Georgetown keeper Matthew Brutto.

After Peter Grasso tied the game for the Hoyas in the 53rd minute, Brovsky put Notre Dame back in front almost immediately. The sophomore was the first to rise and get connect with a Jack Traynor free kick heading the ball past Brutto. Brovsky’s game winning goal was his fifth tally of the season.

“Both goals from Jeb were very good,” Clark said. “The second goal was a great ball from Jack Traynor, and the first goal was very well-taken. Jeb is arguably our most clinical finisher. He’s developing into a first class player.”

What made Brovsky’s goals even more impressive was whom they came against. Georgetown entered Wednesday’s game with a miniscule 0.58 goals against average, and Brovsky’s goals were the first time an opponent has found the back of the net against Brutto in 763 minutes this season.

Brovsky’s tallies also helped the Irish break out of a mini-scoring slump. In their two games over Fall Break, Notre Dame scored only one goal against Seton Hall and Connecticut. Clark was encouraged but not totally pleased by the team’s effort on Wednesday.

“Against Seton Hall, everything was there but the finishing,” Clark said. “Against Connecticut, we had more of the game than we’ve ever had there, but to be fair, we didn’t generate many scoring chances. There was some good buildup today, but the finishing still wasn’t there to be honest.

“We had three one-on-ones with their keeper in the second half, and we missed all three of them. That wasn’t good, but in retrospect it was good because we had to fight to the end learning how to manage a tight game.”

There was one downer for Notre Dame Wednesday afternoon as starting goalie Andrew Quinn had to leave the game part way through the second half. In the 72nd minute, Quinn made a diving save, but he landed awkwardly injuring his shoulder in the process.

After the game, Clark said that the team would have a better idea of the extent of Quinn’s injury after he gets an MRI, but Quinn will be out for at least a few weeks. Junior goalie Phillip Tuttle will start in his place.