Men's Tennis: Squad played host for Tom Fallon Invitational

Notre Dame opened the 22nd annual Tom Fallon Invitational on Friday while hosting Harvard, Wisconsin, Michigan State, Western Michigan and Ball State.

"The Tom Fallon is a hidden-dual tournament," Irish coach Bobby Bayliss said. "One in which each team plays its lineup as it might in a dual match, but there is no team scoring due to NCAA rule that would necessitate that each day of play would count as one of the team's 25 playing dates rather than as one event."

The Irish earned 13 singles wins in day one of the tournament. Sophomore Dan Stahl earned two wins in singles and a win in doubles on Friday, defeating Harvard and Michigan State players in singles and teaming with fellow sophomore Tyler Davis to beat Michigan States doubles team.

Davis also earned two singles wins in day one over two Harvard players.

"After Brett, last year's lettermen Stahl, David Anderson, Stephen Havens, and Tyler Davis have been pretty good," Bayliss said. "With Matt Johnson looking like he can join them and Sean Tan much improved in doubles."

Freshmen Casey Watt and Niall Fitzgerald combined for three singles wins on day one. Sophomores Sean Tan, and David Anderson combined for four wins also on Friday.

Sophomore Stephen Havens also earned a singles and doubles win.

Havens again came up with big wins in singles and doubles again on Saturday defeating players from Ball State in singles, and a Michigan State doubles team in round two. Havens teamed with Watt in a loss in round one of the doubles matches on Saturday.

Davis and Anderson combined for three wins and one loss also on Saturday. Both Davis and Anderson earned a singles win, and teamed up to beat a Michigan State doubles team in round two.

Johnson and Tan again teamed up for two wins in both doubles rounds on Saturday, and each earned a singles win. The duo beat teams from Harvard and Michigan State in the doubles rounds.

Stahl and junior Patrick Callaghan teamed up for three wins on Saturday, defeating a Harvard doubles team in round two. Callaghan defeated Jon Wegener from Ball State, and Stahl defeated Alex Forger of Michigan State.

Junior Takashi Yoshii also added a singles win, and Santiago Montoya added a doubles win with Callaghan in round one.

Havens finished with a 1-1 record on Sunday in the final round losing his singles match to Sasha Ermakov of Harvard and teaming with Watt to defeat a doubles team from Western Michigan.

Watt also earned a singles win over another Harvard player on day three. Stahl earned another win for the Irish at singles defeating Eduardo Pavia of Ball State.

David Anderson, Johnson and Callaghan all fell in singles to players from Western Michigan. Tan earned a victory over Pablo Olivarez of Western Michigan. Davis and Fitzgerald also earned singles victories on day three.

Tan and Anderson, and Stahl and Callaghan all earned doubles wins on Sunday.

The Irish will now compete in the Midwest Regionals which open on October 16.