SMC Cross Country: Saint Mary's finishes fifth at Adrian meet

Junior Megan McClowry's sixth overall individual finish in the 3-kilometer race led the Belles to fifth place at the Adrian Invitational on Friday.

McClowry finished with a time of 11:37.

"One of our goals for the team this year is to improve our finish in the conference," McClowry said. "Last year we got fourth place, which was the highest place we had gotten, and we hope to better our place this year. One of my goals, along with some of the other girls is to consistently break the 20-minute barrier in the 5K."

Freshman Hanna Vicary and sophomore Clare McVey were the next finishers across the line for the Belles in the 3K, finishing with times of 12:09 (20th) and 12:10 (21st), respectively.

Freshman Arianne Rodriguez finished 25th with a time of 12:15 in the same race. Sophomore Kristy Kucharski finished in 36th place with a time of 12:55 to round out the Belles' scoring.

In the 6K, sophomore Catie Salyer led the way for the Belles finishing with a time of 25:22.

Freshman Joanne Almond finished in 22nd place with a time of 25:31.

Seniors Caitlin Brodmerkel, Alicen Miller and Becca Mason finished 27th, 35th, and 39th respectively.

"So far my senior year of cross country has been all I could ask for and more," Brodmerkel said. "As usual, I absolutely love my teammates. They are amazing women and they constantly provide me with the motivation I need to keep me going. My goal for the team is to continue to improve throughout the season, as we have been."

The team results were taken by combining the top-three finishers in both races. The Belles were in the middle of the pack of 10 teams, which included Calvin, John Carroll, Bethel, Cornerstone, Adrian, Schoolcraft, Goshen, Trine and Defiance.

The Belles will head to the Manchester College Invitational on Oct. 18.