SMC Soccer: Belles get first MIAA win

Alex Barker | Thursday, October 16, 2008

Saint Mary’s notched its first MIAA win of the season with a 4-0 victory over Trine Wednesday, breaking a five-game losing streak.

The Belles grabbed the lead in the 23rd minute when senior Lauren Hinton assisted junior Micki Hedinger on her second goal of the season.

Just 10 minutes later, Saint Mary’s struck again when Hedinger assisted freshman Alex Mullen on the first goal of her career to give the Belles a 2-0 lead heading into halftime. This goal marked the first time the Belles have scored more than once in a game this season.

But it didn’t stop there. In the 62nd minute, the freshmen duo of Michelle Leonard and Michelle Marshall hooked up on Marshall’s first career goal to give the Belles a decisive lead.

Hinton added her fifth goal of the season in the 69th minute to finish off the Thunder.

In a rainy match, the Belles put together their most dominating performance of the season, outshooting Trine 33-0.

Junior Patty Duffy played the first 70 minutes in goal before senior Nicole Beier took her place to finish out the game. They combined to provide Saint Mary’s with its second shut-out win of the season.

The Belles improve to 2-9-1 on the season with a 1-4 conference record.

Saint Mary’s will take the field for its final home game of the regular season when it faces Alma Tuesday at 4 p.m.