SMC Soccer: Belles lose two more close games

Joe Meixell | Tuesday, October 28, 2008

The ball has bounced rather unfavorably for Saint Mary’s so far this year. That trend continued last week as the Belles dropped two more tightly-contested games, both by a one-goal margin.

In the first game, conference opponent Alma spoiled senior day for the Belles by claiming a narrow 2-1 victory as Saint Mary’s wrapped up its home schedule. The Scots claimed the early lead on a breakaway opportunity in the 28th minute, the only scoring of the first half despite many quality chances for both sides.

Alma added to its lead in the 53rd minute to give them the decisive second goal.

The Belles fought back to pull within a goal in the 79th minute on freshman Katelyn Tondo-Steele’s second goal of the season, but were unable to net the equalizer.

Junior Patty Duffy recorded four saves in goal for Saint Mary’s.

In the second game, the Belles hit the road and suffered a tough 1-0 overtime defeat at the hands of Kalamazoo.

A defensive struggle resulted in a scoreless finish of regulation before the Hornets scored just seven minutes into the first overtime to grab the victory.

Saint Mary’s failed to capitalize on numerous scoring opportunities despite a 7-0 corner kicks advantage.

Duffy played the full match in goal once again for the Belles and made three saves.

This match marks the seventh time Saint Mary’s has dropped a one-goal decision this season.

These losses drop the Belles to 2-11-1 overall and 1-6 in the MIAA conference this season.

Saint Mary’s will finish out the regular season schedule when they travel to play Albion on Wednesday. Kickoff is scheduled for 4 p.m.