Christmas too soon

I love Christmas. I mean, who doesn't? However, I love Thanksgiving more and it makes me sad that it has become Christmas season halftime. Christmas songs have already taken over the radio, Christmas shows are beginning to play on the television, and we have all seen the holiday aisles in the stores. So, when did this happen? It confuses me how every year people complain about the early onslaught of Christmas, yet every year it comes sooner and sooner.

I think the first, and most annoying of the early holiday strikes, is the music. There are already whole stations devoted to the cheery tunes. Christmas music, no matter how happy it makes me, gets old. Too much of anything is not good, and the three and a half weeks after Thanksgiving can even be too much. I put on Perry Como as I help my family decorate the tree, and of course "Red Baron" will randomly play on my iPod. I can even take it all day Christmas Eve, but to hear Jingle Bells before the turkey hits the table is just too much for me.

My next grievance with the early attack of Christmas décor is the holiday items that go up in the stores as soon as Halloween costumes are taken down. As a matter of fact, I was shopping for a costume and I ran into three aisles of outdoor Christmas lights. I couldn't believe it. We all complain every year that Santa Claus starts popping up sooner and sooner, but every year I hold out hope that there has to be a limit. Clearly, stores want to make as much money as possible, but how much of these things are they really selling in October? I don't know what worries me more, the fact that they think we will buy decorations so early, or that we actually are buying them and that is why they are already out.

Lastly, are Christmas commercials. They infiltrate the networks earlier and earlier each year, not to be outdone by their fellow mediums. Advertising companies solicit us to subdue our selfish buying habits, and buy presents for others instead. Making needless items necessary for our family and friends. What other time of the year do we spend a vast portion of our money to buy things that we aren't really sure people will like and that will often be returned? I love presents, but I prefer the ones that have thought put into them more than money. Then again, that probably stems from my poor college student budget. Most of my family and friends will be getting smiles and hugs from me come December.

Please don't misunderstand, however, as I said, I love Christmas. But I love it most because of its uniqueness. It only comes once a year and that makes it special. People are thinking of others, making time to spend with each other, and in general happy with Christmas cheer. I just don't want the novelty of Christmas to wear off before the day even gets here.